* Installing sourcenav
       [not found] <981386286.22393.ezmlm@sources.redhat.com>
@ 2001-02-05  8:47 ` Bill Munday
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill Munday @ 2001-02-05  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi Source Nav users,

I am very new to the linux world so please excuse my ignornace.

I thought it would be a good idea to use Source Navigator to understand
eCos.

So I downloaded it from http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/

I unzipped the the file.

Then the problems started, I followed a README that built me lots of GNU
tools - thanks. But no source navigator.

I wonder if you could tell me where the instructions are, or if you have
done it can you tell me how.

I am using Linux as my desktop and I am working on eCos.

I also browsed through the emails and as a result decided to send you an
email.

Thanks in advance
Bill Munday

* Re: Installing sourcenav
@ 2001-02-05  9:01   ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-02-05  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Munday; +Cc: sourcenav

Hi,

Was it this README you followed?

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/sourcenav/releases/README

Ian.

Bill Munday wrote:

> Hi Source Nav users,
>
> I am very new to the linux world so please excuse my ignornace.
>
> I thought it would be a good idea to use Source Navigator to understand
> eCos.
>
> So I downloaded it from http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/
>
> I unzipped the the file.
>
> Then the problems started, I followed a README that built me lots of GNU
> tools - thanks. But no source navigator.
>
> I wonder if you could tell me where the instructions are, or if you have
> done it can you tell me how.
>
> I am using Linux as my desktop and I am working on eCos.
>
> I also browsed through the emails and as a result decided to send you an
> email.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Bill Munday

* Re: Installing sourcenav
@ 2001-02-05  9:03   ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2001-02-05  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Munday; +Cc: sourcenav

Bill Munday <bmunday@3glab.com> writes:

[...]

> I wonder if you could tell me where the instructions are, or if you have
> done it can you tell me how.
>
> I am using Linux as my desktop and I am working on eCos.

The instructions in the README should be sufficient, I think.  In
summary,

        % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/snav
        % make
        % make install

should be sufficient.  You may need to be root to install in
/usr/local/snav (you can install wherever you like; you probably want
to choose a new directory, not reuse something like /usr/local).

You should find there's an executable script called snavigator in
/usr/local/snav/bin which is what you should run.

You must do the "make install", and there are some flags which, if
passed to configure, will mysteriously cause things to fail.  For
example, people familiar with Tcl might try --disable-static, but if I
remember correctly, that doesn't work.

Alternatively, if you're using some common distribution of Linux (such
as Red Hat) then you can probably find ready built packages.  For
Debian unstable, for example, "apt-get install sourcenav" will do the
necessary installation.

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com
ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect	<URL: http://www.MessagingDirect.com/ >

* Re: Installing sourcenav
@ 2001-02-06  2:23   ` Bill Munday
From: Bill Munday @ 2001-02-06  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi All SNers,

Thanks for helping me out, I suppose the thing I done wrong was not
clicking on the Downloads link as I thought one had to click on:

	"Download 4.5.2 here!"

There was a comment I read somewhere that Source Nav doesn't support
for more than 500,000 lines of code is this true?

And finally has anyone used it for eCos?

Thanks in advance again.
Bill Munday

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Bill Munday wrote:

> Hi Source Nav users,
>
> I am very new to the linux world so please excuse my ignornace.
>
> I thought it would be a good idea to use Source Navigator to understand
> eCos.
>
> So I downloaded it from http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/
>
> I unzipped the the file.
>
> Then the problems started, I followed a README that built me lots of GNU
> tools - thanks. But no source navigator.
>
> I wonder if you could tell me where the instructions are, or if you have
> done it can you tell me how.
>
> I am using Linux as my desktop and I am working on eCos.
>
> I also browsed through the emails and as a result decided to send you an
> email.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Bill Munday

* Re: Installing sourcenav
@ 2001-02-06  4:22     ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2001-02-06  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Munday; +Cc: sourcenav

Bill Munday <bmunday@3glab.com> writes:

> Thanks for helping me out, I suppose the thing I done wrong was not
> clicking on the Downloads link as I thought one had to click on:
>
> 	"Download 4.5.2 here!"

> There was a comment I read somewhere that Source Nav doesn't support
> for more than 500,000 lines of code is this true?

No.  When it was a commercial binary product, there were likely a
variety of restrictions depending on how much you paid.  Now there's
no fixed limit, although it's possible there are technical limits.
I'm using it on projects larger than 500000 lines.

[...]

--

@ 2001-02-08  8:54     ` Bill Munday
From: Bill Munday @ 2001-02-08  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi SNers,

I wanted to know if there is any way that the errors generated by the
compiling program in the Build Make window could be highlighted.

Furthermore are there any keystrokes that jump you to the first error,
then a return jumps you to the file and line

I suppose I have seen it work in emacs about three years ago but can't
remember the exact details. And I am not using emacs as my external editor
- apologies to emacs users nor do I want to.

Thanks in advance
Bill Munday

Example of an error in a c file with in the Build make window.

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/build/infra/current'
make -r -C redboot/current build
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/build/redboot/current'
arm-elf-gcc -c  -I/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/build/install/include
-I/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current
-I/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src
-I/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current/tests
-I. -I/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/net/
-mcpu=strongarm1100 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Winline
-Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual -g -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
-fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fvtable-gc -finit-priority
-Wp,-MD,src/net/bootp.tmp -o src/net/redboot_bootp.o
/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/net/bootp.c
/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/net/bootp.c: In
function `bootp_handler':
/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/net/bootp.c:73: `i'
undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/net/bootp.c:73: (Each
undeclared identifier is reported only once
/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/net/bootp.c:73: for
each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [src/net/bootp.o.d] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/bmunday/projects/ecos/build/redboot/current'
make: *** [build] Error 2
+++ End +++

* Window Names
@ 2001-02-08  9:54       ` Bill Munday
From: Bill Munday @ 2001-02-08  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi,

I am was Linux Gnome desktop and at the bottom it creates a window bar. Is
there any way of changing the name of the window so that it is in reverse.

Currently::

Source Navigator [ecos] vector.S
Source Navigator [ecos] Symbols
Source Navigator [ecos] Project Editor
etc

Bottom bar looks like
<Red Hat Image> Source | <Red Hat Image> Source | <Red Hat Image> Source |

It would be nice if it was
vector.S Source Navigator [ecos]
Symbols Source Navigator [ecos]
Project Editor Source Navigator [ecos]

This will mean that the bottom bar looks like
<Red Hat Image> vector.S | <Red Hat Image> Symbols | <Red Hat Image>
Project E |

This will allow navigation between multiple windows to be easier.

Thanks
Bill Munday