* support for parsers
@ 2001-02-06 13:23 Josef Grosch
From: Josef Grosch @ 2001-02-06 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi,

my company called CoCoLab contributed three parsers to Source-Navigator
while it was developed at Multix: COBOL, Java, and tcl. Meanwhile we
get requests for problem fixes from users of the open source version.
I looked into the mailing list about Source-Navigator and immediately
found a couple of articles about problems in the above parsers.

How is Red Hat going to handle these problems?
We are aware of the open source idea where the community fixes problems.
Does Red Hat also consider to pay for bug fixes and for support for the
parsers? How is the vision of Red Hat concerning Source-Navigator?

Best regards

Dr. Josef Grosch

CoCoLab - Datenverarbeitung
Turenneweg 11
77880 Sasbach
Germany

Phone   : +49-7841-669144
Fax     : +49-7841-669145
Email   : grosch@cocolab.de
Internet: www.cocolab.de

* Re: support for parsers
@ 2001-02-06 14:00 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-02-06 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Grosch, sourcenav

At 10:22 PM 2/6/01 +0100, Josef Grosch wrote:
>Hi,
>
>my company called CoCoLab contributed three parsers to Source-Navigator
>while it was developed at Multix: COBOL, Java, and tcl. Meanwhile we
>get requests for problem fixes from users of the open source version.
>I looked into the mailing list about Source-Navigator and immediately
>found a couple of articles about problems in the above parsers.
>
>How is Red Hat going to handle these problems?
>We are aware of the open source idea where the community fixes problems.
>Does Red Hat also consider to pay for bug fixes and for support for the
>parsers? How is the vision of Red Hat concerning Source-Navigator?

If people have bug fixes for the parsers, then they can contribute those
fixes. We sometimes make fixes ourselves.

Red Hat is not generally willing to pay for bug fixes at this time.

Source-Navigator is slowly being turned into an Integrated Development
Environment.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: support for parsers
@ 2001-02-06 19:06 ` Paul Selormey
From: Paul Selormey @ 2001-02-06 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hello Josef,
Red Hat is really not earning money from this free and open source
version, it will be difficult for the company to continue to invest money,
apart from paying the current maintainers, to enhance it.

Since you understand the open source effort and you (or your company) is
not going to redo the whole parsers again other than fixing bugs, my humble
appeal to you and your company is to consider fixing at least some of the
bugs to help support its wider use. This help is mainly to other developers
too, so you can be sure that you will pick some other form of helps from
these very developers too--this is the concept of the open source community,
supporting each other while we try to earn living. I think even now your
company will find the Source Navigator a useful tool, and will not have to
pay for it.

Best regards,
Paul.

> my company called CoCoLab contributed three parsers to Source-Navigator
> while it was developed at Multix: COBOL, Java, and tcl. Meanwhile we
> get requests for problem fixes from users of the open source version.
> I looked into the mailing list about Source-Navigator and immediately
> found a couple of articles about problems in the above parsers.
>
> How is Red Hat going to handle these problems?
> We are aware of the open source idea where the community fixes problems.
> Does Red Hat also consider to pay for bug fixes and for support for the
> parsers? How is the vision of Red Hat concerning Source-Navigator?
>

> Best regards
>
> Dr. Josef Grosch
>
> CoCoLab - Datenverarbeitung
> Turenneweg 11
> 77880 Sasbach
> Germany
>
> Phone   : +49-7841-669144
> Fax     : +49-7841-669145
> Email   : grosch@cocolab.de
> Internet: www.cocolab.de

* Re: support for parsers
@ 2001-02-06 19:16   ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2001-02-06 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Selormey; +Cc: sourcenav

   Since you understand the open source effort and you (or your company)
   is not going to redo the whole parsers again other than fixing bugs,
   my humble appeal to you and your company is to consider fixing at
   least some of the bugs to help support its wider use. This help is

Another alternative would be to make the current versions of the Cocktail
compiler generation toolsuite freely available so that folks on the net can
work on the parsers without having to modify generated code.

Ben