* OK!  OK!  Cancel!  Cancel!
@ 2000-07-29 23:52 Bryan O'Sullivan
From: Bryan O'Sullivan @ 2000-07-29 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: feedback; +Cc: sourcenav

I have long loved the User Interface Hall Of Shame site
( http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm ).  Here's a confusing window
grab from Red Hat's Source Navigator:

* Re: OK! OK! Cancel! Cancel!
@ 2000-07-30 12:39 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-07-30 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan O'Sullivan; +Cc: feedback, sourcenav

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> I have long loved the User Interface Hall Of Shame site
> ( http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm ).  Here's a confusing window
> grab from Red Hat's Source Navigator:

I agree, the hall of shame is a great site.

> I got this when I clicked on a small area of the main application
> window that displayed the enigmatic string "2%".  I had no idea that
> clicking there would try to cancel building a cross-reference, and
> once this popup appeared, hardly any more idea of how to *not* cancel
> what the app was doing!

Well, that is just not right, thee Xref % done meter should not
do anything when you click on it. This problem does not show
up in 5.0.

To be honest, this is not even the worst one. You may never
run into it, but the "project duplicate" dialog really
belongs in the hall of shame. The good news is that I
have been removing as many of these as I can find, so
there should be far fewer confusing dialogs in 5.0.

The other one I like is the following.

User: Presses Cancel button in parse dialog.
System: Canceling will cancel, are you sure?
User: Yes I am sure.
System: Ok, I canceled parsing that file, do you want me to
        continue to parse the rest of the files, or should
        I cancel parsing them too.
User: AARAGH%$!

> (In its defence, and since I'm CCing the developers, I'll say that
> Source Navigator is so far otherwise very cool :-) )

Please feel free to post as many "This is confusing" messages
as you like. After you use a tool for long enough, you don't
even notice this stuff anymore, so we really need "new users"
to report these kinds of things.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc