* segmentation fault
@ 2001-04-12 11:28 Bany Ismail
From: Bany Ismail @ 2001-04-12 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi,

I downloaded a precompiled binary of source navigator 5.0. I tried to
use the program and noticed that I always receive segmenation faults
when trying to open an already existing project. However the program
runs fine if everytime I need to open a project I  create a new one with
a different name but same directory. I am running Slackware 7.1, kernel
2.4.2.

I also tried to build my own binary using the source code for the same
version of source navigator. I ran 'source/./configure' followed by
'make', I get this error message at the end of 'make'

make: *** No rule to make target 'all-libremote', needed by 'all-sid'.
Stop.

After that I tried a 'make install' even though 'make' apparently failed
and get this message at the end of 'make install':

/usr/bin/ld: cannot open -ltix4.4.8.1: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]:  *** [hyper] Error 1
make[2]:  Leaving directory
'/home/bismail/incoming/source/snavigator/hyper'
make[1]:  *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]  Leaving directory '/home/bismail/incoming/source/snavigator'
make:  *** [install-snavigator] Error 2

I would really appreciate any help that you can offer as I really need a
good IDE to go along with Insight debugger as I am a budding computer
scientist in my third year of studies and would like to begin using
professional grade software as early as possible :)

* Re: segmentation fault
@ 2001-04-12 11:50 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-04-12 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bany Ismail, sourcenav

At 02:25 PM 4/12/01 -0400, Bany Ismail wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I downloaded a precompiled binary of source navigator 5.0. I tried to
>use the program and noticed that I always receive segmenation faults
>when trying to open an already existing project. However the program
>runs fine if everytime I need to open a project I  create a new one with
>a different name but same directory. I am running Slackware 7.1, kernel
>2.4.2.
>
>I also tried to build my own binary using the source code for the same
>version of source navigator. I ran 'source/./configure' followed by
>'make', I get this error message at the end of 'make'

Do "make all-snavigator" instead of just "make". When that finishes, do
"make install-snavigator".

>make: *** No rule to make target 'all-libremote', needed by 'all-sid'.
>Stop.
>
>After that I tried a 'make install' even though 'make' apparently failed
>and get this message at the end of 'make install':
>
>/usr/bin/ld: cannot open -ltix4.4.8.1: No such file or directory
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make[2]:  *** [hyper] Error 1
>make[2]:  Leaving directory
>'/home/bismail/incoming/source/snavigator/hyper'
>make[1]:  *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>make[1]  Leaving directory '/home/bismail/incoming/source/snavigator'
>make:  *** [install-snavigator] Error 2
>
>I would really appreciate any help that you can offer as I really need a
>good IDE to go along with Insight debugger as I am a budding computer
>scientist in my third year of studies and would like to begin using
>professional grade software as early as possible :)

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 408 543 9430
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: segmentation fault
@ 2001-04-12 12:05 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-04-12 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Bany Ismail wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded a precompiled binary of source navigator 5.0. I tried to
> use the program and noticed that I always receive segmenation faults
> when trying to open an already existing project. However the program
> runs fine if everytime I need to open a project I  create a new one with
> a different name but same directory. I am running Slackware 7.1, kernel
> 2.4.2.

Yeah, I need to remove that Linux binary. SN should NEVER
segfault. If it does, it is most likely a compiler bug or
a glibc problem. You need to compile your own version.

> I also tried to build my own binary using the source code for the same
> version of source navigator. I ran 'source/./configure' followed by
> 'make', I get this error message at the end of 'make'
>
> make: *** No rule to make target 'all-libremote', needed by 'all-sid'.
> Stop

If you run "make all-snavigator" and the "make install-snavigator"
that will fix it.

> After that I tried a 'make install' even though 'make' apparently failed
> and get this message at the end of 'make install':
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open -ltix4.4.8.1: No such file or directory

That is a new one, try the above all-snavigator and see
if that fixes it.

> I would really appreciate any help that you can offer as I really need a
> good IDE to go along with Insight debugger as I am a budding computer
> scientist in my third year of studies and would like to begin using
> professional grade software as early as possible :)

Well, you might be surprised by what passes for "professional grade"
software in the industry. We think Source-Navigator is a very good
tool, but we could certainly use your help in making it better.

Mo