* Acceptable Use section added to mail.html
@ 2001-06-12 14:05 Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-06-12 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

I just added an "Acceptable Use" section to the mailing
list signup page.

http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/mail.html

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Acceptable Use section added to mail.html
@ 2001-06-13  9:37 ` Joe Pallas
From: Joe Pallas @ 2001-06-13  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Mo DeJong <mdejong@cygnus.com> wrote:

> I just added an "Acceptable Use" section to the mailing
> list signup page.

[which says in part:
Fictional contract claims

Some organizations require disclaimers along the lines of "This email may
contain confidential information. By reading it you agree to sign over your
first born child." Obviously, these claims are a legal fantasy. Posts
including such claims are strictly forbidden.
]

I don't understand how the prohibition on "fictional contract claims" fits
with the open source philosophy.

We've already established that the people whose messages contain these
boilerplate notices usually have no control over them.  It's safe to assume
that their workplace policies are not going to be changed in response to
this prohibition.

So, the only effect this will have is preventing people who are interested
in using or contributing to Source Navigator from doing so.  How can this
benefit the Source Navigator community?

The alternative--to ignore any "legal fictions"--seems both more practical
and more inclusive.

joe

* Re: Acceptable Use section added to mail.html
@ 2001-06-13 12:56   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-06-13 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Joe Pallas wrote:

> Mo DeJong <mdejong@cygnus.com> wrote:
>
> > I just added an "Acceptable Use" section to the mailing
> > list signup page.
>
> [which says in part:
> Fictional contract claims
>
> Some organizations require disclaimers along the lines of "This email may
> contain confidential information. By reading it you agree to sign over your
> first born child." Obviously, these claims are a legal fantasy. Posts
> including such claims are strictly forbidden.
> ]
>
> I don't understand how the prohibition on "fictional contract claims" fits
> with the open source philosophy.

The sourcenav mailing list is a public resource. If you don't
want to make the information in your post available to the
public, then don't post to the mailing list.

> We've already established that the people whose messages contain these
> boilerplate notices usually have no control over them.  It's safe to assume
> that their workplace policies are not going to be changed in response to
> this prohibition.

Then these people should seek an alternative method of posting to
the mailing list. This same claim was made when the posting in
HTML issue came up. Neither argument stands up to scrutiny.
A community need some basic rules so that everyone can
participate on equal footing.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc