* Extracting CPU and Disk information from kernel using systemtap
@ 2008-07-01  8:30 satya komaragiri
From: satya komaragiri @ 2008-07-01  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hello !

I am Satya Komaragiri, a Google Summer of Code 2008 student for The
Fedora Project &JBoss.org.

I am working on a project to Extend Bootchart to use SystemTap
( http://code.google.com/soc/2008/fedora/appinfo.html?csaid=43B0BE196B874499 )
under the guidance of my mentor Mr. Eugene Teo.

So far, I have succeeded in extracting the process information but I
need to extract the the CPU utilization, I/O wait, disk utilization
and throughput information.

I have been trying to avoid taking information from /proc and would
like to have the systemtap script gather this information directly
from the kernel.

Can anyone please suggest how to go about it? As of now, I was trying
to look into the kernel code to see how the /proc entries are filled
in the first place.

Regards,
Satya

* Re: Extracting CPU and Disk information from kernel using systemtap
@ 2008-07-01  8:42 ` Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli
From: Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli @ 2008-07-01  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: satya komaragiri; +Cc: systemtap

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 01:59:42PM +0530, satya komaragiri wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I am Satya Komaragiri, a Google Summer of Code 2008 student for The
> Fedora Project &JBoss.org.
>
> I am working on a project to Extend Bootchart to use SystemTap
> ( http://code.google.com/soc/2008/fedora/appinfo.html?csaid=43B0BE196B874499 )
> under the guidance of my mentor Mr. Eugene Teo.
>
> So far, I have succeeded in extracting the process information but I
> need to extract the the CPU utilization, I/O wait, disk utilization
> and throughput information.
>
> I have been trying to avoid taking information from /proc and would
> like to have the systemtap script gather this information directly
> from the kernel.
>
> Can anyone please suggest how to go about it? As of now, I was trying
> to look into the kernel code to see how the /proc entries are filled
> in the first place.

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2007-q1/msg00485.html may be of
some help.

Ananth

* Re: Extracting CPU and Disk information from kernel using systemtap
@ 2008-07-01  9:18   ` satya komaragiri
From: satya komaragiri @ 2008-07-01  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ananth; +Cc: systemtap

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli
<ananth@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2007-q1/msg00485.html may be of
> some help.

Thank you, I'll see if that serves my purpose and will get back;

Regards
Satya