* turning on -fno-inline-functions-called-once
@ 2008-10-06 18:58 Steve Dickson
From: Steve Dickson @ 2008-10-06 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fedora Kernel List; +Cc: SystemTAP

A while back, I believe back during the last FUDCon in Raleigh I talked with kylem and davej about turning off the "inline-functions-called-once" which inlines functions that are only called once. Turning off this optimization would allow SystemTap to work much better, especially in the NFS code...

Kyle/Dave (or anybody else) remember if anything came out from that conversation?

Is there any reason we should not remove this optimization?

steved.

* Re: turning on -fno-inline-functions-called-once
@ 2008-10-06 19:04 ` Kyle McMartin
From: Kyle McMartin @ 2008-10-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Dickson; +Cc: Fedora Kernel List, SystemTAP

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 02:56:04PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> A while back, I believe back during the last FUDCon in Raleigh I talked with kylem and davej about turning off the "inline-functions-called-once" which inlines functions that are only called once. Turning off this optimization would allow SystemTap to work much better, especially in the NFS code...
>
> Kyle/Dave (or anybody else) remember if anything came out from that conversation?
>
> Is there any reason we should not remove this optimization?

I don't mind the idea of turning this off in debug builds, but I'm iffy
about turning the optimization off in release builds...

regards, Kyle

* Re: turning on -fno-inline-functions-called-once
@ 2008-10-07  3:30 ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2008-10-07  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Dickson; +Cc: Fedora Kernel List, SystemTAP

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 02:56:04PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:

 > A while back, I believe back during the last FUDCon in Raleigh I
 > talked with kylem and davej about turning off the
 > "inline-functions-called-once" which inlines functions that are only
 > called once. Turning off this optimization would allow SystemTap to work
 > much better, especially in the NFS code...
 >
 > Kyle/Dave (or anybody else) remember if anything came out from that conversation?

I forgot all about that conversation.

 > Is there any reason we should not remove this optimization?

I'd be really surprised if it's actually even measurable on modern CPUs.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

* Re: turning on -fno-inline-functions-called-once
@ 2008-10-07 13:04   ` Steve Dickson
From: Steve Dickson @ 2008-10-07 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fedora Kernel List; +Cc: SystemTAP

Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 02:56:04PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
>> A while back, I believe back during the last FUDCon in Raleigh I talked with kylem and davej about turning off the "inline-functions-called-once" which inlines functions that are only called once. Turning off this optimization would allow SystemTap to work much better, especially in the NFS code...
>>
>> Kyle/Dave (or anybody else) remember if anything came out from that conversation?
>>
>> Is there any reason we should not remove this optimization?
>>

> I don't mind the idea of turning this off in debug builds, but I'm iffy
> about turning the optimization off in release builds...
Understandable... but its a catch-22... If its not turned off in release builds then we can't use systemtap [to debug NFS] in production environments which the true value systemtap brings to the table...  imho...

@ 2008-10-07 13:58     ` Kyle McMartin
From: Kyle McMartin @ 2008-10-07 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Dickson; +Cc: Fedora Kernel List, SystemTAP

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 09:02:08AM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:

> Kyle McMartin wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 02:56:04PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> >> A while back, I believe back during the last FUDCon in Raleigh I talked with kylem and davej about turning off the "inline-functions-called-once" which inlines functions that are only called once. Turning off this optimization would allow SystemTap to work much better, especially in the NFS code...
> >>
> >> Kyle/Dave (or anybody else) remember if anything came out from that conversation?
> >>
> >> Is there any reason we should not remove this optimization?
> >>

> > I don't mind the idea of turning this off in debug builds, but I'm iffy
> > about turning the optimization off in release builds...
> Understandable... but its a catch-22... If its not turned off in release builds then we can't use systemtap [to debug NFS] in production environments which the true value systemtap brings to the table...  imho...

Is this liable to actually occur, though?

I mean, I don't have any problem with it per se... I'd just be suprised,
is all.

regards, Kyle