* [QUESTION] About the behavior when MAXACTION is exceeded
@ 2019-01-22  7:48 Zexuan Luo
From: Zexuan Luo @ 2019-01-22  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi, guys.

When MAXACTION is exceeded, the systemtap will exit. But as MAXACTION
is used to prevent a probe from running too much time, why not just
aborting the current probe instead of quitting the whole session?

* Re: [QUESTION] About the behavior when MAXACTION is exceeded
@ 2019-01-29  0:41 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2019-01-29  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zexuan Luo; +Cc: systemtap

Zexuan Luo <spacewanderlzx@gmail.com> writes:

> When MAXACTION is exceeded, the systemtap will exit. But as MAXACTION
> is used to prevent a probe from running too much time, why not just
> aborting the current probe instead of quitting the whole session?

Aborting a probe running overtime is an error.  Aborting a script when
an error occurs is a separate policy and is configurable with
-DMAXERRORS=NNN or --suppress-handler-errors.

- FChE

* Re: [QUESTION] About the behavior when MAXACTION is exceeded
@ 2019-01-29  3:20   ` Zexuan Luo
From: Zexuan Luo @ 2019-01-29  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

Thank you for the reply.

However, is it acceptable to optionally consider 'MAXACTION exceeded'
as a recoverable error, and avoid aborting the script? Is there any
side-effect to do so?

Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> 于2019年1月29日周二 上午8:41写道:

@ 2019-01-29  3:49     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2019-01-29  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zexuan Luo; +Cc: systemtap

Hi -

> However, is it acceptable to optionally consider 'MAXACTION exceeded'
> as a recoverable error, and avoid aborting the script? Is there any
> side-effect to do so?

Setting -DMAXERRORS=NNN is one way of making this error non-fatal.
We don't have a flag for turning this particular error into a warning,
but would consider merging such a patch.

- FChE