From: Emanuele Rocca <ema@wikimedia.org>
To: webman@manfbraun.de
Cc: systemtap@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 17:17:47 +0100	[thread overview]

On 20/03 06:24, webman@manfbraun.de wrote:
> simple scripts run on Buster (Systemtap 4.0,
> linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64-dbg), but not on Stretch (Systemtap 3.1,
> linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64-dbg), which I cannot upgrade in the
> near future.

Oh I see, you are running stretch with Linux 4.19 from backports. The
systemtap version in stretch (3.1) isn't compatible with that kernel. I
have built the latest systemtap for stretch and uploaded it to
stretch-backports. It is going to take some days for it to be available,
as it has to go through the "new" queue:
https://ftp-master.debian.org/backports-new.html

For the time being you may want to reboot into the Linux kernel released
with stretch (4.9), you will find that systemtap 3.1 works fine with
such version.

If you have any suggestions for how to improve the instructions
available on the wiki please let me know, or of course feel free to go
ahead and edit the page yourself. :)
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemTap

Thanks,
  Emanuele