* debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap
@ 2020-03-20  5:24 webman
From: webman @ 2020-03-20  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hello!

I am asking, if probably someone has a better solution
to install SystemTap right on Debian, then that, what
I read in stat-prep or the wiki.

I followed the instructions, added the required sources to
"sources.list", but there are no "-dbgsym" packages for the
kernels I use (which are NOT custom build). On both my
boxes, the "*-amd64-dbg" files are installed. I do not want
to build a custom kernel, this would be too far out
of my experience (for the next years .).

I looked around for hours, but the Debian packaging
looks like a big PITA for me.

Astoundingly, simple scripts
run on Buster (Systemtap 4.0, linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64-dbg), but
not on Stretch (Systemtap 3.1, linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64-dbg),
which I cannot upgrade in the near future.

Thanks anyway,
Manfred

(Second attempt - first mail didnt arrive on the list).

* Re: debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap
@ 2020-03-20 16:17 ` Emanuele Rocca
From: Emanuele Rocca @ 2020-03-20 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webman; +Cc: systemtap

On 20/03 06:24, webman@manfbraun.de wrote:
> simple scripts run on Buster (Systemtap 4.0,
> linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64-dbg), but not on Stretch (Systemtap 3.1,
> linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64-dbg), which I cannot upgrade in the
> near future.

Oh I see, you are running stretch with Linux 4.19 from backports. The
systemtap version in stretch (3.1) isn't compatible with that kernel. I
have built the latest systemtap for stretch and uploaded it to
stretch-backports. It is going to take some days for it to be available,
as it has to go through the "new" queue:
https://ftp-master.debian.org/backports-new.html

For the time being you may want to reboot into the Linux kernel released
with stretch (4.9), you will find that systemtap 3.1 works fine with
such version.

If you have any suggestions for how to improve the instructions
available on the wiki please let me know, or of course feel free to go
ahead and edit the page yourself. :)
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemTap

Thanks,
  Emanuele

* Re: debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap
@ 2020-03-17 22:46 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-03-17 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webman; +Cc: systemtap

<webman@manfbraun.de> writes:

> [...]
> I looked around for hours, but the Debian packaging
> looks like a big PITA for me.
> Astoundingly, simple scripts run on Buster, but not
> on Stretch (which I cannot upgrade in the near future).

Yeah, it's clumsy.

If you are able, consider installing elfutils 0.178 or git-master
elfutils.  You can build it into a private directory and direct
systemtap to use it with $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  With that available,
existing systemtap binaries can access our debuginfod server, and fetch
debug data for a selection of debian kernels.

https://sourceware.org/elfutils/Debuginfod.html

- FChE

* Re: debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap
@ 2020-03-13 10:31 ` Emanuele Rocca
From: Emanuele Rocca @ 2020-03-13 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webman; +Cc: systemtap

Hi,

On 13/03 02:10, webman@manfbraun.de wrote:
> I followed the instructions, added the required sources to
> "sources.list", but there are no "-dbgsym" packages for the
> kernels I use (which are NOT custom build). On both my
> boxes, the "-dbg" files are installed. I do not want
> to build a custom kernel, this would be too far out
> of my experience (for the next years .).

When it comes to the kernel, there is no -dbgsym package to install,
just the -dbg. See http://www.linux.it/~ema/systemtap-intro.html

Please paste your sources.list as well as the output of the following
commands:

uname -a
dpkg -l linux-image-\* | grep ^ii
apt-cache policy systemtap

Thanks!
  Emanuele

* debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap
@ 2020-03-13  1:10 webman