* Tapset state & plans
@ 2006-09-21 18:21 Mike Mason
From: Mike Mason @ 2006-09-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

I've been asked to do is help expand and enhance systemtap's set of tapsets. As a starting point, I have some questions regarding the current state of things:

- What analysis has been done to determine what tapsets should be implemented? Has anyone done a comparison between the data that dtrace provides and what systemtap does/should provide?

- Of the tapsets already in cvs, which are considered complete and which are incomplete. I know things like this are never truly "done", but some must be more done than others.

- What tapsets are people in the community currently working on?

- Does a prioritized list of tapsets "to be done" exist?

Thanks,
Mike Mason

* Re: Tapset state & plans
@ 2006-09-22  8:33 ` Gui,Jian
From: Gui,Jian @ 2006-09-22  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mason; +Cc: systemtap

Mike Mason wrote:
> I've been asked to do is help expand and enhance systemtap's set of
> tapsets. As a starting point, I have some questions regarding the
> current state of things:
>
> - What analysis has been done to determine what tapsets should be
> implemented? Has anyone done a comparison between the data that dtrace
> provides and what systemtap does/should provide?
>
> - Of the tapsets already in cvs, which are considered complete and which
> are incomplete. I know things like this are never truly "done", but some
> must be more done than others.
>
> - What tapsets are people in the community currently working on?
>
> - Does a prioritized list of tapsets "to be done" exist?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Mason

Current RPC tapset mainly picks probe points from high-level
RPC client, server and scheduler functions. It doesn't cover
other components such as XDR, credential, etc. Any contribution
to this/systemtap is welcome.

Thanks.

-Guijian

* Re: Tapset state & plans
@ 2006-09-22 10:06   ` Li Guanglei
From: Li Guanglei @ 2006-09-22 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gui,Jian; +Cc: Mike Mason, systemtap

Gui,Jian wrote:
> Mike Mason wrote:
>> I've been asked to do is help expand and enhance systemtap's set of
>> tapsets. As a starting point, I have some questions regarding the
>> current state of things:
>>
>> - What analysis has been done to determine what tapsets should be
>> implemented? Has anyone done a comparison between the data that dtrace
>> provides and what systemtap does/should provide?
>>
>> - Of the tapsets already in cvs, which are considered complete and
>> which are incomplete. I know things like this are never truly "done",
>> but some must be more done than others.
>>
>> - What tapsets are people in the community currently working on?
>>
>> - Does a prioritized list of tapsets "to be done" exist?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike Mason
>>
> Current RPC tapset mainly picks probe points from high-level
> RPC client, server and scheduler functions. It doesn't cover
> other components such as XDR, credential, etc. Any contribution
> to this/systemtap is welcome.

And the same rule also applies to other tapsets, such as NFS and
networking. And sometimes we may be a little slow at documenting the
implemented tapsets so the first place to find what probes available
in SystemTap is the /usr/share/systemtap/tapsets directory.

The tapsets we implemented as part of LKET come mostly from
requirement of our performance team. We have almost finished their
wish list, so at present there is not a clear plan of what tapsets we
will do in the next step.

- Guanglei

* RE: Tapset state & plans
@ 2006-09-24 22:05 Nguyen, Thang P
From: Nguyen, Thang P @ 2006-09-24 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mason, systemtap

>> I've been asked to do is help expand and enhance systemtap's set of
>> tapsets. As a starting point, I have some questions regarding the
>> current state of things:
>>
>> - What analysis has been done to determine what tapsets should be
>> implemented? Has anyone done a comparison between the data that
dtrace
>> provides and what systemtap does/should provide?
>>
>> - Of the tapsets already in cvs, which are considered complete and
>> which are incomplete. I know things like this are never truly "done",

>> but some must be more done than others.
>>
>> - What tapsets are people in the community currently working on?
>>
>> - Does a prioritized list of tapsets "to be done" exist?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike Mason

The block I/O and tcp/upd tapsets should be completed.  These tapsets
should contain important probe points, and they certainly can be
improved further.  I am not aware if we have a prioritized list of
tapsets, or if any analysis (dtrace comparison) is currently available.

Thang

* Re: Tapset state & plans
@ 2006-09-22  7:27 Manoj S Pattabhiraman
From: Manoj S Pattabhiraman @ 2006-09-22  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap; +Cc: Mike Mason

Hi,

Signal tapset is completed, expect the integration of the tapset in to man
pages and test scripts.

Thanks
Manoj