* Systemtap Example showing user-space probing of applicatoins
@ 2009-11-20 22:38 William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2009-11-20 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Systemtap List

There are some applications such as Java-1.6.0-openjdk and postgresql that have
user-space markers enabled in Fedora. It is very nice to have the user-space
markers in these applications. However, these applications are a bit complicated
and make it a more difficult to figure out how to add markers to a new
application. In an effort to make it easier to see how to make use of probes in
the application code I have been working on a very trivial example, heapsort.
The code appears to work at this point and things are packaged as a source rpm.
More writeup is needed to describe how this works in the packages README.

I have made the srpm available at:

http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/heapsort-0.1-1.fc10.src.rpm

Feedback on the current srpm would be appreciated. I plan to present this
material at Toronto FudCon December 5-7.

-Will

* Re: Systemtap Example showing user-space probing of applicatoins
@ 2009-11-24  4:20 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2009-11-24  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Systemtap List

William Cohen wrote:
> There are some applications such as Java-1.6.0-openjdk and postgresql that have
> user-space markers enabled in Fedora. It is very nice to have the user-space
> markers in these applications. However, these applications are a bit complicated
> and make it a more difficult to figure out how to add markers to a new
> application. In an effort to make it easier to see how to make use of probes in
> the application code I have been working on a very trivial example, heapsort.
> The code appears to work at this point and things are packaged as a source rpm.
> More writeup is needed to describe how this works in the packages README.
>
> I have made the srpm available at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/heapsort-0.1-1.fc10.src.rpm
>
> Feedback on the current srpm would be appreciated. I plan to present this
> material at Toronto FudCon December 5-7.
>
> -Will

Hi All,

Some expansion on the README to describe the changes made to produce the
user-space probes. The newer srpm is now available at:

http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/heapsort-0.2-1.fc10.src.rpm

-Will

* Re: Systemtap Example showing user-space probing of applications
@ 2009-11-30 19:12 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2009-11-30 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

On 11/20/2009 05:37 PM, William Cohen wrote:
> There are some applications such as Java-1.6.0-openjdk and postgresql that have
> user-space markers enabled in Fedora. It is very nice to have the user-space
> markers in these applications. However, these applications are a bit complicated
> and make it a more difficult to figure out how to add markers to a new
> application. In an effort to make it easier to see how to make use of probes in
> the application code I have been working on a very trivial example, heapsort.
> The code appears to work at this point and things are packaged as a source rpm.
> More writeup is needed to describe how this works in the packages README.
>
> I have made the srpm available at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/heapsort-0.1-1.fc10.src.rpm
>
> Feedback on the current srpm would be appreciated. I plan to present this
> material at Toronto FudCon December 5-7.
>
> -Will

Hi All,

I have update the examples README bit, the new version is at:

http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/fudcon2009/heapsort-0.3-1.fc12.src.rpm

I know that the userspace markers are not going to work on ia64, but I
haven't tried this out on PPC. Does someone know off hand whether the
userspace markers currently work on ppc machines?

@ 2009-12-05 13:45   ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2009-12-05 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

On 11/30/2009 02:12 PM, William Cohen wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 05:37 PM, William Cohen wrote:
>> There are some applications such as Java-1.6.0-openjdk and postgresql that have
>> user-space markers enabled in Fedora. It is very nice to have the user-space
>> markers in these applications. However, these applications are a bit complicated
>> and make it a more difficult to figure out how to add markers to a new
>> application. In an effort to make it easier to see how to make use of probes in
>> the application code I have been working on a very trivial example, heapsort.
>> The code appears to work at this point and things are packaged as a source rpm.
>> More writeup is needed to describe how this works in the packages README.
>>
>> I have made the srpm available at:
>>
>> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/heapsort-0.1-1.fc10.src.rpm
>>
>> Feedback on the current srpm would be appreciated. I plan to present this
>> material at Toronto FudCon December 5-7.
>>
>> -Will
>>

> Hi All,
>
> I have update the examples README bit, the new version is at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/fudcon2009/heapsort-0.3-1.fc12.src.rpm
>
> I know that the userspace markers are not going to work on ia64, but I
> haven't tried this out on PPC. Does someone know off hand whether the
> userspace markers currently work on ppc machines?
>
> -Will

Hi All,

For Fudcon2009 Toronto I made a number of simplifications Friday night and
updated the files README based on feedback. There is a newer copy at:

http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/fudcon2009/heapsort-0.4-1.fc12.src.rpm

Let me know if there are any other refinements on it.

-Will