* Re: Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04
       [not found] <783052208.24376951274969900448.JavaMail.root@sz0020a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>
@ 2010-05-28 14:08 ` gkosteva
From: gkosteva @ 2010-05-28 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, SteveD; +Cc: Rayson Ho, systemtap

Frank, a little elaboration here would be helpful!  You write:

"stap needs to be natively compiled on the development host where the arm
platform's kernel etc. were built."

This step is not described in http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap at least its not obvious to me what the step is to compile stap.
Can someone take the time to describe this. Otherwise I am soon going to bail on using this tool. I have oprofile already working. The install of this tool and any support for it have just been rather painful. To be honest, I don't even know if the effort is worth while. I am trying to verify the performance of my system and this tool was recommended by Steve Dickson and for all I know this tool may be a piece of junk....if the install is any indication, I am not hopeful.

Thanks.

From: Josh Stone @ 2010-05-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gkosteva; +Cc: systemtap

On 05/27/2010 07:19 AM, gkosteva@comcast.net wrote:
> Frank, a little elaboration here would be helpful!  You write:
>
> "stap needs to be natively compiled on the development host where the arm
> platform's kernel etc. were built."

There are two components to consider for systemtap.

The runtime, with bin/staprun and libexec/systemtap/stapio, needs to be
built as native arm executables for the target machine.  It sounds like
you've accomplished this already.

The translator, with bin/stap and share/systemtap/* and all, needs to
run in an environment that is able to build the kernel and kernel
modules for the arm target.  Since the development host is usually some
other architecture, probably x86, then the stap binary needs to be built
for x86 and then used with -a and -B to cross-compile.

So, you'll need two separate configure+builds, once to get the runtime
for arm, and once to get the translator for the development host.

> This step is not described in http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap at
> least its not obvious to me what the step is to compile stap.

I hope my description helps you understand how the pieces need to fit
together.

Cross-compilation hasn't seen much focus from our core development team
-- the page you're referencing was written by the OMAP folks.  It's a
wiki, so I'm sure the authors would welcome your help in clarifying the
instructions.  We would also welcome help to improve the core
documentation in this respect.

Thanks,

Josh

* Re: Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04
@ 2010-05-20 19:32   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2010-05-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gkosteva; +Cc: Rayson Ho, systemtap

gkosteva@comcast.net writes:

> I got the configure to work and ran the make install which successfully
> created the target bound /systemtap-1.0-macharm directory.=20
> I am now trying to generate the *.ko file using the command:
>
> ./stap -gv -a arm -D OMAP_REL_FAMILY -B CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- -r .....

> However, my /systemtap-1.0-macharm/bin directory only contains stap-report
> and staprun, but no stap executable/script to generate the required .ko file

It looks like the wrong parts of the tool were built.  staprun needs
to be cross-compiled or natively compiled for the arm platform.  stap
needs to be natively compiled on the development host where the arm
platform's kernel etc. were built.

- FChE

* Re: Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04
       [not found] <342948981.21681601274214320052.JavaMail.root@sz0020a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>
@ 2010-05-19 16:47 ` gkosteva
From: gkosteva @ 2010-05-19 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rayson Ho; +Cc: systemtap

Hi,

I got the configure to work and ran the make install which successfully
created the target bound /systemtap-1.0-macharm directory.
I am now trying to generate the *.ko file using the command:
./stap -gv -a arm -D OMAP_REL_FAMILY -B CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- -r .....

However, my /systemtap-1.0-macharm/bin directory only contains stap-report and staprun,
but no stap executable/script to generate the required .ko file

Any Ideas?
Thanks Glenn.

From: Rayson Ho @ 2010-05-18 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gkosteva; +Cc: systemtap

@ 2010-05-18  3:16     ` Rayson Ho
From: Rayson Ho @ 2010-05-18  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gkosteva, systemtap

Gkosteva,

The error message shows that configure was trying to run "a.out" it
compiled with the arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc cross-compiler in the
compile environment, and since it's an x86 box, the binary failed to
run.

The wiki has some info on cross compilation, and it also lists the
extra configure flags needed for the cross environment. However I
usually don't deal with cross environments, so you will need to do a
bit of trial and error to get it working.

Rayson

@ 2010-05-18  2:44   ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2010-05-18  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gkosteva; +Cc: systemtap

       [not found] <134922441.21152901274107488199.JavaMail.root@sz0020a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>
@ 2010-05-18  2:43 ` gkosteva
From: gkosteva @ 2010-05-18  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hello,

   I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my PC which is running the LTIB software that
 generates ARM code for our embedded system. I have modified our kernel with
 the right configurations for systemtap. I now need to compile the systemtap
 application on my PC, then port to the embedded ARM using a serial port consol.

 I am following the directions on the site: http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap
 From my compile environment on the PC, I attempt to run ./configure to generate

@ 2010-05-17 18:40 ` gkosteva
From: gkosteva @ 2010-05-17 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hello,

   I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my PC which is running the LTIB software that
 generates ARM code for our embedded system. I have modified our kernel with
 the right configurations for systemtap. I now need to compile the systemtap
 application on my PC, then port to the embedded ARM using a serial port consol.

 I am following the directions on the site: http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap
 this web site says:

    "In order to compile the tool and scripts, elfutils package shall be available on the host.
    elfutils 0.143 package can be downloaded from following location [5]
    No need to install elfutils on the host; only the untar'ed file is required."

   so is elfutils required?  line 1 says yes, line 3 says no ???

 From my compile environment on the PC, I attempt to run ./configure to generate

       [not found]   ` <1399661091.19844181273684891134.JavaMail.root@sz0020a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>
@ 2010-05-13 16:54     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2010-05-13 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gkosteva; +Cc: systemtap

Hi -

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 05:21:31PM +0000, gkosteva@comcast.net wrote:
> [...]
> What I need:
>   I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my PC which is running the LTIB software that
> generates ARM code for our embedded system. What I would like to do is
> modify our kernel with the right configurations for systemtap (done this)
> and then compile the systemtap application to run on the ARM using the
> serial port consol for communication.

> The omapmedia site seems to describe a server/client approach which won't
> work for me. (Our imx31 has no client connection capability)

OK, that just means that the automated client/server widget can't be
used, but you can still build the various parts of systemtap the same
way.  Instead of running stap-client on the arm machine and
stap-server on the development host, you'd run 'stap -p4 ....' on the
host by hand, transport the foo.ko file to the arm machine any way you
see fit, and run it there with 'staprun foo.ko'.

(If the arm machine has enough ram/virtual memory, building/running
all of systemtap natively is also a possibility.)

- FChE

* Re: Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04
@ 2010-05-12 19:11 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
       [not found]   ` <1399661091.19844181273684891134.JavaMail.root@sz0020a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2010-05-12 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gkosteva; +Cc: systemtap

gkosteva@comcast.net writes:

> I am trying to build systemtap for the freescale imx31 (arm)
> processor.  [...]  Should I be using a different process to create
> my systemtap executable for the imx31?

You need to decide whether you wish to undertake a native or
cross-compilation effort.  The simplest method is running gcc,
systemtap, and everything on the arm box.  Cross-compilation can be
done in one or two different ways in theory, but the one that works
smoother is natively building systemtap-runtime only, and
building/running the translator side (stap) on some host machine.

See also http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2010-q1/msg00671.html
See also http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap

- FChE

* Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04
@ 2010-05-12 16:16 gkosteva
From: gkosteva @ 2010-05-12 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hello,
I am trying to build systemtap for the freescale imx31 (arm) processor.
I have successfully updated my kernel build with CONFIG_RELAY, CONFIG_DEBUG_FS, CONFIG_KPROBES, and CONFIG_DEBUG INFO.

I downloaded systemtap-1.2.tar.gz from the sourceware.org website.
From my compile environment I attempted to run the systemtap configure script and got the output below.
It suggested that I cross compile using the --host option, but help does not provide info on this particular option.