* Re: Fwd: Using abrt to automatically download and install debuginfo
       [not found] ` <20110809200816.GB7219@nostromo.devel.redhat.com>
@ 2011-08-09 20:32   ` Chris Meek
From: Chris Meek @ 2011-08-09 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Nottingham; +Cc: systemtap

On 08/09/2011 04:08 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Tim Burke (tburke@redhat.com) said:
>> In my tests, I found that a small debuginfo file of around 0.2MB took
>> only an average of
>> 1.34 seconds to download and install, whereas a larger file of 76.5 MB
>> took around 6.4
>> minutes to download and install. Of course these times are heavily
>> dependant on the
>> internet connection, so they should only be taken as a rough ballpark
>> estimate.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> $ stap -e 'probe process("/bin/gzip").function("*") { log(pp()) }'
>>
>> If the gzip debuginfo is not already installed, SystemTap will call
>> "abrt-action-install-debuginfo-to-abrt-cache" to first download and then
>> install the "gzip.debug"
>> file into: "/var/cache/abrt-di/usr/lib/debug/" . SystemTap will then
>> look in this directory to use the
>> debuginfo for the probe.
>>
>> If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
> Is it possible to use abrt's retrace server to not require the debuginfo
> locally?
>
> Bill
Hi Bill,

It appears that the retrace server does not actually server the debuginfo
to remote machines. Rather it decodes core files sent by the remote
machines. So in its current state, it does not look like that would be
a possibility.

Regards,
Chris

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-08-09 20:32 UTC | newest]