* cyclic build dependency libvirt->systemtap->libvirt?
@ 2014-04-07 12:21 Timo Juhani Lindfors
From: Timo Juhani Lindfors @ 2014-04-07 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi,

systemtap 2.4 seems to use libvirt headers during build. In debian
libvirt also uses systemtap sdt.h during build. Is this intentional or
should we try to mitigate this somehow? Cyclic build dependencies are
problematic e.g. when porting software to new architectures or compilers
(such as clang).

-Timo

* Re: cyclic build dependency libvirt->systemtap->libvirt?
@ 2014-04-07 14:21 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-04-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timo Juhani Lindfors; +Cc: systemtap

timo.lindfors wrote:

> systemtap 2.4 seems to use libvirt headers during build. In debian
> libvirt also uses systemtap sdt.h during build. Is this intentional or
> should we try to mitigate this somehow?

Good catch.  It's a loosely-versioned dependency (any previous version
of X is enough to build Y), so updates are not really problematic.  If
it's really worth solving, I suppose one could fork the sdt-devel
header file into its own separate package (versus being a
sub-package).

> Cyclic build dependencies are problematic e.g. when porting software
> to new architectures or compilers (such as clang).

For bootstrapping purposes, the loop may be broken at either point by
removing the rpm/dep dependency tags, and building either package in
isolation.

- FChE

* Re: cyclic build dependency libvirt->systemtap->libvirt?
@ 2014-04-07 16:47   ` Josh Stone
From: Josh Stone @ 2014-04-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

On 04/07/2014 07:20 AM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> timo.lindfors wrote:
>
>> systemtap 2.4 seems to use libvirt headers during build. In debian
>> libvirt also uses systemtap sdt.h during build. Is this intentional or
>> should we try to mitigate this somehow?
>
> Good catch.  It's a loosely-versioned dependency (any previous version
> of X is enough to build Y), so updates are not really problematic.  If
> it's really worth solving, I suppose one could fork the sdt-devel
> header file into its own separate package (versus being a
> sub-package).

I've had an idea to make a libsdt.so reader, and it would be quite
natural IMO for sdt-devel stuff to live in the same standalone project.
 Thoughts?