* Error: staprun syntax error on Target
@ 2017-11-29 16:46 Satish Kumar
From: Satish Kumar @ 2017-11-29 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi all,

I am getting following error with staprun on target board

root@xilinx-zynq-le:~# staprun
/usr/target/bin/staprun: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("
root@xilinx-zynq-le:~#

I am using systamtap 2.6.0-1 7 elfutils  elfutils-0.161 version

& commit Id for systemtap

commit cbeaab6abc002463024b5a199ac1fc2f49a31738
Author: Hilko Bengen <bengen@debian.org>
Date:   Thu Sep 25 22:44:57 2014 +0200

Running on ubuntu 14.04 machine on x86_64 bit.

I got compiled stap for host successfully
staprun & stapio for target successfully
and copied /macharm (creted with ./configure) directory into target

& when running the staprun on the target getting error as

root@xilinx-zynq-le:~# staprun hello.ko
/usr/target/bin/staprun: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("
root@xilinx-zynq-le:~#

Kernel compiled for Target board: 3.14

I used following commands to create stap & stptun, stapio based on
following web page

https://drzhf9.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/systemtap-for-arm/

can you please support me to resolve the issue.

If blog page is wrong, please provide me proper Doc. or set of commands to
create stap, staprun & stapio for ARM Target board
I did not see much doc.s open for the ARM Arch.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Satish.G

* Re: Error: staprun syntax error on Target
@ 2017-11-29 19:19 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2017-11-29 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satish Kumar; +Cc: systemtap

Satish Kumar <sakumar@mvista.com> writes:

> [...]
> root@xilinx-zynq-le:~# staprun
> /usr/target/bin/staprun: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("
> following web page
> https://drzhf9.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/systemtap-for-arm/

The staprun binary needs to be built for the same architecture on which
it will be executed.  (This is the same as any other binary.)  It sounds
as though you did the "building for target board" part without the
appropriate --host=XXXXX configure option, or something went wrong with
that build process.

Can the ARM board run a full enough OS to natively build systemtap
(with --disable-translator if you like), so cross-compilation is not
needed?

- FChE

* Re: Error: staprun syntax error on Target
@ 2017-11-30 15:30   ` Satish Kumar
From: Satish Kumar @ 2017-11-30 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

Hi Frank,

Thank you for quick reply.
It is working now on target board based on your inputs.

If compiling stap, staprun, stapio on the same system, instead of using
Cross compilation, issue becomes resolved.

In this case, systemtap 2.6 + elfutils 0.161 + Kernel 3.14 --> success
Same want to run on Kernel 4.9, so which version of systemtap &  which
version of elfutils should use
I am looking for ARM Arch .board
Because if systemtap version and kernel version are not aligned, it does
not work(Provided in one of Document).

If systemtap not supports till 4.9 kernel ,
what is highest supported Kernel version + which systemtap version + which
elfutils version?

Please provide the above information

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Satish.G

@ 2017-11-30 15:35     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2017-11-30 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satish Kumar; +Cc: systemtap

Hi -

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 09:00:52PM +0530, Satish Kumar wrote:
> Thank you for quick reply.
> It is working now on target board based on your inputs.
> If compiling stap, staprun, stapio on the same system, instead of using
> Cross compilation, issue becomes resolved.

Glad to hear it.

> [...]  If systemtap not supports till 4.9 kernel , what is highest
> supported Kernel version + which systemtap version + which elfutils
> version?

Systemtap tries to preserve its own support for ancient kernels.  So
any systemtap release newer than your target kernel should support
that kernel plus anything else from the last decade (roughly
speaking).  So for kernel 4.9 or older, you could build stap 3.1 or
3.2 and enjoy.

- FChE

* Re: Error: staprun syntax error on Target
@ 2017-11-30 15:40       ` Satish Kumar
From: Satish Kumar @ 2017-11-30 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 09:00:52PM +0530, Satish Kumar wrote:
> > Thank you for quick reply.
> > It is working now on target board based on your inputs.
> > If compiling stap, staprun, stapio on the same system, instead of using
> > Cross compilation, issue becomes resolved.
>
> Glad to hear it.
>
> > [...]  If systemtap not supports till 4.9 kernel , what is highest
> > supported Kernel version + which systemtap version + which elfutils
> > version?
>
> Systemtap tries to preserve its own support for ancient kernels.  So
> any systemtap release newer than your target kernel should support
> that kernel plus anything else from the last decade (roughly
> speaking).  So for kernel 4.9 or older, you could build stap 3.1 or
> 3.2 and enjoy.
>

> - FChE

Ok.. that is nice
& thanks for the support