* Help with a common FAQ...
@ 2016-05-11 23:08 Steve Glass
From: Steve Glass @ 2016-05-11 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

I'm experiencing the "missing kernel debuginfo" problem that's
mentioned in the FAQ. I'm running on Red Hat and have installed the
debugsyms packages. I can see a heap of probes/functions some of the
syscalls and some of the signal tapset probes have issues finding the
relevant kernel symbol.

For example. signal.send resolves fine but signal.send_sig_queue fails
to compile with this:

semantic error: while resolving probe point: identifier 'kernel' at
/opt/rh/devtoolset-3/root/usr/share/systemtap/tapset/linux/signal.stp:562:9
        source:         kernel.function("send_sigqueue"),
                        ^

semantic error: missing x86_64 kernel/module debuginfo [man
warning::debuginfo] under
'/lib/modules/2.6.32-504.3.3.el6.x86_64/build'

semantic error: while resolving probe point: identifier 'signal' at
app_crash.stp:17:7
        source: probe signal.send_sig_queue {
                      ^

Exactly what file contains the DWARF debug symbols for the kernel - my
/boot contains a vmlinuz-${VERSION} and I've extracted
vmlinuz-${VERSION} but that didn't help any. All packages are the
versions from the RH repository - no custom kernel or anything very
weird.

ATB

* Re: Help with a common FAQ...
@ 2016-05-12 15:58 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2016-05-12 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Glass; +Cc: systemtap

Hi, Steve -

> I'm experiencing the "missing kernel debuginfo" problem that's
> mentioned in the FAQ. I'm running on Red Hat and have installed the
> debugsyms packages. [...]

Sounds good - you're probably just missing the right one! :-)

> [...]
> semantic error: missing x86_64 kernel/module debuginfo [man
> warning::debuginfo] under
> '/lib/modules/2.6.32-504.3.3.el6.x86_64/build'
> [...]
> Exactly what file contains the DWARF debug symbols for the kernel - my
> /boot contains a vmlinuz-${VERSION} [...]

vmlinuz is very much stripped & compressed.

The file we're after is .../vmlinux, and should be contained in
the kernel-debuginfo-2.6.32-504.3.3.el6.x86_64.rpm package.
You should be able to get hold of it with the 'stap-prep'
or 'debuginfo-install kernel' programs, or by downloading
it by hand from RHN.

- FChE

* Re: Help with a common FAQ...
@ 2016-05-12 19:08   ` Steve Glass
From: Steve Glass @ 2016-05-12 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

Many thanks for the assist! I can see why extracting vmlinux from
vmlinux *after* the symbols are stripped did not help me any. I shall
get the package installed and that should move me along.

ATB