* XML(-ish) output?
@ 2012-09-30 15:01 Albretch Mueller
From: Albretch Mueller @ 2012-09-30 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

 I couldn't find any reference to generating output files as XML
documents in sourceware's documentation per se, even though in the
mailing list
~
 http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/
~
 I did find some comments of people asking for xml-esque output
~
 I somehow expected to find something like that and I think this
shouldn't be that hard because the logic followed by the state
machines used by compilers is very much patterned and hierarchical
~
 Is there a way to have strap reports as xml? Or in case there isn't
in a straightforward way, what would you suggest?
~
 thanks
 lbrtchx

* Re: XML(-ish) output?
@ 2012-10-01 14:30 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2012-10-01 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albretch Mueller; +Cc: systemtap

Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> writes:

> I couldn't find any reference to generating output files as XML
> documents in sourceware's documentation per se [...]

One can do so from first principles:

    probe FOO {
          printf("<tag attrib=\"foo\">\n");
          printf("<bar/>\n");
          printf("</tag>\n");
    }

How much deeper support for xml generation were you hoping for?
Quoting of some sort?

- FChE

* RE: XML(-ish) output?
@ 2012-10-02  8:24   ` Oestman, Fredrik
From: Oestman, Fredrik @ 2012-10-02  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albretch Mueller; +Cc: systemtap

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> writes:
> > I couldn't find any reference to generating output files as XML
> > documents in sourceware's documentation per se [...]
> One can do so from first principles:
>
>     probe FOO {
>           printf("<tag attrib=\"foo\">\n");
>           printf("<bar/>\n");
>           printf("</tag>\n");
>     }
>
> How much deeper support for xml generation were you hoping for?
> Quoting of some sort?

I've once experimented with utility functions providing brackets and the end tag, but I ran into problems with the maximum string length when nesting. So most of the output was from first principles as above.

function tags( name, content )
{
  return sprint( "<%s>%s</%s>/n", name, content, name );
}

Cheers,

Fredrik Östman

http://go.mentor.com/sourceryanalyzer/

* Re: XML(-ish) output?
@ 2012-10-04 14:16   ` Albretch Mueller
From: Albretch Mueller @ 2012-10-04 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

On 10/1/12, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I couldn't find any reference to generating output files as XML
>> documents in sourceware's documentation per se [...]
>
> One can do so from first principles:
>
>     probe FOO {
>           printf("<tag attrib=\"foo\">\n");
>           printf("<bar/>\n");
>           printf("</tag>\n");
>     }
>
> How much deeper support for xml generation were you hoping for?
~
 Well, as deep as necessary. Why should depth matter? Shouldn't
generating an XML-ish stack be straight forward?
~
> Quoting of some sort?
~
 Anything that would let me test its output by generating an XML dump
and then somehow reconstruct original dump based on the XML feed, so
things is idempotent
~
 My intention isn't really hacking into binaries, but somehow getting
and tracking -detailed- dependency relationships in binaries and how
they relate to source code. Maybe you know of a better tools or you
have a better idea about how should one approach such a task
~
 Any suggestions?
~
 thanks