* Print Stacktrace on Runtime Error
@ 2016-07-14 17:19 Alexander Lochmann
From: Alexander Lochmann @ 2016-07-14 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi folks!

My stap scripts keeps failing either with  a "user string copy fault" or
with a "read fault".
Is there a way get more context information about the error? A
stacktrace for example? :)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Alex

--
Technische Universität Dortmund
Alexander Lochmann                PGP key: 0xBC3EF6FD

* Re: Print Stacktrace on Runtime Error
@ 2016-07-14 17:41 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2016-07-14 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

On 07/14/2016 01:19 PM, Alexander Lochmann wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> My stap scripts keeps failing either with  a "user string copy fault" or
> with a "read fault".
> Is there a way get more context information about the error? A
> stacktrace for example? :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Hi Alex,

Is this script using the user_string function?  Is the script actually passing in a valid pointer?  It might be useful to print out the value being passed to user_string to see if it valid and makes sense. Could you post the script that is causing the problem?

-Will

* Re: Print Stacktrace on Runtime Error
@ 2016-07-14 17:53   ` Josh Stone
From: Josh Stone @ 2016-07-14 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

On 07/14/2016 10:41 AM, William Cohen wrote:
> On 07/14/2016 01:19 PM, Alexander Lochmann wrote:
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> My stap scripts keeps failing either with  a "user string copy
>> fault" or with a "read fault". Is there a way get more context
>> information about the error? A stacktrace for example? :)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheers, Alex
>>

> Hi Alex,
>
> Is this script using the user_string function?  Is the script
> actually passing in a valid pointer?  It might be useful to print out
> the value being passed to user_string to see if it valid and makes
> sense. Could you post the script that is causing the problem?

It's also possible that a user pointer is perfectly valid, just not
paged in.  Since stap handlers run in atomic context, we can't take a
page fault to populate that memory.

Stap's try-catch mechanism might be helpful to you, whether to continue
past any encountered faults, or print your diagnostics like a backtrace.