* Is there any better method to pass "-d OBJECT" options in command line?
@ 2015-11-10  5:48 Nan Xiao
From: Nan Xiao @ 2015-11-10  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi all,

I want  to track which functions calling fork, so I modify forktracker.stp
(https://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/process/forktracker.stp):

probe kprocess.create {
  printf("%-25s: %s (%d:%d) created %d:%d\n",
         ctime(gettimeofday_s()), execname(), pid(), tid(), new_pid, new_tid)

  print_ubacktrace();
}

probe kprocess.exec {
  printf("%-25s: %s (%d) is exec'ing %s\n",
         ctime(gettimeofday_s()), execname(), pid(), filename)
  print_ubacktrace()
}

But after executing the script, I find it sometimes prompts warnings:

WARNING: Missing unwind data for module, rerun with 'stap -d
/usr/lib64/libpython2.7.so.1.0'
WARNING: Missing unwind data for module, rerun with 'stap -d
.../lib64/libvirt/connection-driver/libvirt_driver_interface.so'
WARNING: Missing unwind data for module, rerun with 'stap -d /bin/bash'

I can use "stap -d /usr/lib64/libpython2.7.so.1.0 -d .. -d ...
forktracker.stp" to resolve
this issue. But if there are many lacking libraries, the "-d ..."
options will cause command line
too long.

So my question is whether there is a better method to specify these
lacked "*.so" files?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
Nan Xiao

* Re: Is there any better method to pass "-d OBJECT" options in command line?
@ 2015-11-10 14:24 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2015-11-10 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nan Xiao; +Cc: systemtap

Nan Xiao <xiaonan830818@gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
>   print_ubacktrace()
>
> But after executing the script, I find it sometimes prompts warnings:
>
> WARNING: Missing unwind data for module, rerun with 'stap -d
> /usr/lib64/libpython2.7.so.1.0'
> WARNING: Missing unwind data for module, rerun with 'stap -d
> .../lib64/libvirt/connection-driver/libvirt_driver_interface.so'
> WARNING: Missing unwind data for module, rerun with 'stap -d /bin/bash'
> [...]
> So my question is whether there is a better method to specify these
> lacked "*.so" files?

See the "--ldd" option, which includes all shared libraries
transitively referenced from all binaries named with "-d BIN".
So it may be enough to name a few of the higher-level binaries
& libraries explicitly, and let --ldd pull in their dependencies.

- FChE