* intermittent "operation not permitted"?
@ 2012-10-03 19:38 Nicholas Murphy
From: Nicholas Murphy @ 2012-10-03 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

If I'm seeing intermittent (not consistent) "operation not permitted" errors when trying to start a script, what is a likely cause of that?  Could it be, perhaps, that there isn't enough memory to load the kernel module?

I see things like this:
Error inserting module '/scratch/tmp/stapHHzQ11/stap_25086.ko': Operation not permitted
Error, 'stap_25086' is not a zombie systemtap module.
Retrying, after attempted removal of module stap_25086 (rc -5)
Error inserting module '/scratch/tmp/stapHHzQ11/stap_25086.ko': Operation not permitted
Pass 5: run failed.  Try again with another '--vp 00001' option.

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: intermittent "operation not permitted"?
@ 2012-10-05 14:13 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2012-10-05 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Murphy; +Cc: systemtap

Nicholas Murphy <halcyonic@gmail.com> writes:

> If I'm seeing intermittent (not consistent) "operation not
> permitted" errors when trying to start a script, what is a likely
> cause of that?  [...]

Does 'dmesg' give any hints?  Can you paste somewhere output from
stap-report?  Does 'sudo modprobe SOMETHING_ELSE' work for you in
general?

Could you be experiencing https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemtap/+bug/1054274?

- FChE