* about systemtap cost
@ 2015-11-04  8:40 Gareth
From: Gareth @ 2015-11-04  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

then, run "stap y.stap" which contains:
probe Y {
    # do sth
}

then, run "stap z.stap" which contains:
probe Z {
    # do sth

Gareth

Cloud Computing, OpenStack, Distributed Storage, Fitness, Basketball
OpenStack contributor, kun_huang@freenode
My promise: if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes in my email
from Mar 1 2013, notify me
and I'll donate $1 or ¥1 to an open organization you specify.

* Re: about systemtap cost
@ 2015-11-04 14:05 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2015-11-04 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gareth; +Cc: systemtap

academicgareth wrote:

> Which case would cost more in runtime?
> [... one script with three probes vs. three scripts with one probe each ...]

There should be no difference at a first-order level of analysis, so
do whatever makes more sense from a script life-cycle or data-sharing
or other such abstract concern.

(Second-order performance effects like cache locality probably slightly
favour putting the probes together into one script.)

- FChE