* tracing module init functions
@ 2008-05-09 19:54 Paul Larson
From: Paul Larson @ 2008-05-09 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Is there a way to trace module init functions, and other functions such
as device probes that happen early when a module comes up?  I've tried
running with things like "stap -c modprobe somemod" and also tried
adding a system("modprobe somemod") to the begin probe in my script, but
to no avail.

Thanks,
Paul Larson

* Re: tracing module init functions
@ 2008-05-09 19:59 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2008-05-09 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Larson; +Cc: systemtap

Paul Larson <pl@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Is there a way to trace module init functions, and other functions such
> as device probes that happen early when a module comes up?  [...]

Not yet.  The main reason is that init type functions get unmapped
pretty soon after module loading, so systemtap refuses to put kprobes
into such areas (e.g., bug #1329, #5483).  If we were really clever,
we could intercept the module loading process, wrap the init function,
and temporarily insert and remove the kprobes for only the real init
call's duration.

- FChE