public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* GDL change
@ 2004-06-27  3:10 Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-06-27  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I have split the unit property ai-tactical-range (default 4) into two:
ai-tactical-range (default 12) and ai-enemy-alert-range (default 6). The
difference between the two is that ai-tactical-range is now used for
offensive purposes only (searching for targets) while ai-enemy-alert-range
is a defensive perimeter within which a mobile enemy unit is considered a
threat.

The underlying reason was to increase the performance of the ai, which is
strongly dependent on the tactical range in most games, while avoiding
unnecessary defensive actions, such as increased garrisons, which would be
triggered also by remote enemy units when the tactical range was increased.

Hans

* GDL Notice: New Terrain Compatibility Options
@ 2004-06-27  7:01 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-06-27  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hello Xconq Game Designers,

  Some new terrain compatibility options are now available.
  The documentation on the existing 'adjacent-terrain-effect' table has
been updated to reflect reality. There are also new
'adjacent-terrain-effect-chance', 'adjacent-terrain-effect-passes',
'adjacent-terrain-border', and 'adjacent-terrain-border-chance' tables
available now, and they are documented as well.
  The Wreckreation game now adjust terrain using these tables. If you
play it with the "World Mapped" variant turned on, then you might notice
that there are islands of varying size in the world's oceans and that
beaches are marked (but they don't do anything special yet). Both of
these are consequences of using the new terrain compatibility features.
A closer look will show that there are also salt-marsh ocean bayous;
these too result from using the new options. Peninsulae could be added
(using a principle similar to island growth) as well, but I have left
them out for now.
  Btw, if someone has some better suggestions for textures for the
various terrain types in Wreckreation, I am quite willing to listen.

  Enjoy,
    Eric

* Re: GDL Notice: New Terrain Compatibility Options
@ 2004-06-27 13:59   ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-06-27 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

>Hello Xconq Game Designers,
>
>  Some new terrain compatibility options are now available.
>  The documentation on the existing 'adjacent-terrain-effect' table has
>been updated to reflect reality. There are also new
>'adjacent-terrain-effect-chance', 'adjacent-terrain-effect-passes',
>'adjacent-terrain-border', and 'adjacent-terrain-border-chance' tables
>available now, and they are documented as well.

Cool! This will make it easier to generate interesting maps. Tweaking the
terrain tables so that you get a good map (which does not look like the
standard or advances game all over again) is one of the hardest parts of
xconq game design.

Hans

P.S. It seems that wreckreation likes to put salt marshes inside forests
and glaciers adjacent to swamps, which is a little strange, but anything is
of course possible in a fantasy game :-).

* Re: GDL Notice: New Terrain Compatibility Options
@ 2004-06-28  3:31     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-06-28  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 03:16, Hans Ronne wrote:

> Cool! This will make it easier to generate interesting maps. Tweaking the
> terrain tables so that you get a good map (which does not look like the
> standard or advances game all over again) is one of the hardest parts of
> xconq game design.

I agree. Annoyance with existing limitations is what drove me to write
this "unplanned" set of features. I guess I will now have to shelve my
grand plans for the help system until next weekend....

> P.S. It seems that wreckreation likes to put salt marshes inside forests
> and glaciers adjacent to swamps, which is a little strange, but anything is
> of course possible in a fantasy game :-).

(version "0.37 Devel")
               ^^^^^

It's not even an alpha version yet.
Actually, I did take care of the problems with beaches appearing at the
borders between lakes and glaciers, and freshwater lakes being next to
salt marshes, before checking it in, so give me some credit.... :-)

But, thanks for pointing out the salt marshes in forest issue; I hadn't
considered the absurdity of the situation until you mentioned it.

I think I'll just hack on Wreckreation today, and maybe get it up to
alpha "quality". The help system improvements can wait.

Eric