public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu
@ 2003-11-20 21:22 Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2003-11-20 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

"I believe that more than an icon is at stake here.
Damaged units have lessened capabilities (which cannot
be wholly addressed through acp-damage-effect)."

I just tested my setup last night and, to my pleasant
surprise, found that the hp-to-garrison totally wiped
out the original unit.  What I forgot to check was
whether this was because my hp-to-garrison was so high
that it burned through the various levels of
wrecked-type units or if it's within the code that a
unit destroyed by hp-to-garrison is 'vanished' instead
of 'destroyed'.  I'll find out tonight, but it works
and it's cool.  The only problem now is that there
needs to be four Xconq units for each normal unit
(i.e. Reinforced Corps, Corps, Understrength Corps,
Severely Depleted Corps just for a Corps).  I don't
mind creating the units and Xconq doesn't mind
processing them, but that's a whole heckava lot of
units for the player to need to scroll through in the
build window, especially given that units declared as
wrecked-types need to be declared before the units
that reference them.

Which is a long way of saying please, please, please
make the build window only show what can be built.
Please!

Also, does Xconq have a hotseat mode?

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

* Re: mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu
@ 2003-11-20 22:16 ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2003-11-20 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: Xconq list

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 11:53, Elijah Meeks wrote:
> I just tested my setup last night and, to my pleasant
> surprise, found that the hp-to-garrison totally wiped
> out the original unit.  What I forgot to check was
> whether this was because my hp-to-garrison was so high
> that it burned through the various levels of
> wrecked-type units or if it's within the code that a
> unit destroyed by hp-to-garrison is 'vanished' instead
> of 'destroyed'.  I'll find out tonight, but it works
> and it's cool.  The only problem now is that there
> needs to be four Xconq units for each normal unit
> (i.e. Reinforced Corps, Corps, Understrength Corps,
> Severely Depleted Corps just for a Corps).  I don't
> mind creating the units and Xconq doesn't mind
> processing them, but that's a whole heckava lot of
> units for the player to need to scroll through in the
> build window, especially given that units declared as
> wrecked-types need to be declared before the units
> that reference them.

Theoretically, Xconq can do all of this with one unit (I think the Game
Design Manual uses dragons of different age categories as an example).
However, I don't know if it has been used, let alone works, in practice.

> Which is a long way of saying please, please, please
> make the build window only show what can be built.
> Please!

It seems like it would be simple enough to make the tcltk interface show
a checkbox that restricts the "Build" panel to only show available
units, but I don't know.  GTK+ with Glade and Visual Basic's Design view
are the only GUI libraries I'm familiar with.

> Also, does Xconq have a hotseat mode?

Uhhh...what's a "hotseat" mode?

* hotseat
@ 2003-11-20 22:18   ` Andreas Bringedal
From: Andreas Bringedal @ 2003-11-20 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> > Also, does Xconq have a hotseat mode?
>
> Uhhh...what's a "hotseat" mode?

A multiplayer game using only one computer.   They may have to use the same
seat, which they are then alternating keeping warm.

Andreas

* Re: Build List Limits and Hotseat
@ 2003-11-20 22:32   ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2003-11-20 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: Xconq list

> Theoretically, Xconq can do all of this with one
> unit (I think the Game
> Design Manual uses dragons of different age
> categories as an example).
> However, I don't know if it has been used, let alone
> works, in practice.

This seems to be the best solution given what I know
about game design in Xconq, as it provides more
latitude with the graphics, naming and capability of
such units with the only drawback being an unusually
large unit list.

> It seems like it would be simple enough to make the
> tcltk interface show
> a checkbox that restricts the "Build" panel to only
> show available
> units, but I don't know.  GTK+ with Glade and Visual
> Basic's Design view
> are the only GUI libraries I'm familiar with.

I also don't know but I would think this would be
relatively simple.  I don't see any reason for the
build list to ever contain every possible unit that
can be built by every possible unit, you've got the
Designer for that.

> > Also, does Xconq have a hotseat mode?
>
> Uhhh...what's a "hotseat" mode?

A multi-player sequential game where the game is
played on the same computer, with each player taking
turns controlling his own units.

@ 2003-11-20 22:39     ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2003-11-20 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: Xconq list

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 14:18, Elijah Meeks wrote:
> > Uhhh...what's a "hotseat" mode?
> >

> A multi-player sequential game where the game is
> played on the same computer, with each player taking
> turns controlling his own units.

I'm not aware of any support in Xconq for this kind of play.  Although I
would imagine that, at least on Linux, if you have a desktop environment
and/or window manager that supports virtual desktops, you could put each
player's respective window(s) on a different desktop.  Of course, there
is no security in such a setup.

If you really want to do this, and you want security, I'd imagine that
the best solution would be for the screen to go blank when one player's
turn ends, a message pops up saying whose turn it is and asks for that
player's password.  When the correct password is entered, the
appropriate player's view would appear.

Yet another entry for the TODO file, I guess...

* Re: Build List Limits and Hotseat
@ 2003-11-21  1:09       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-21  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: Elijah Meeks, Xconq list

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> I'm not aware of any support in Xconq for this kind of play.  Although I
> would imagine that, at least on Linux, if you have a desktop environment
> and/or window manager that supports virtual desktops, you could put each
> player's respective window(s) on a different desktop.  Of course, there
> is no security in such a setup.

I believe Jim revived the old Xt/Xaw Xconq as Xtconq for this very
purpose (not hotseat, but multiple human players potentially at
the same machine). But I could be wrong....

> If you really want to do this, and you want security, I'd imagine that
> the best solution would be for the screen to go blank when one player's
> turn ends, a message pops up saying whose turn it is and asks for that
> player's password.  When the correct password is entered, the
> appropriate player's view would appear.

Strategic Conquest was like that.

Eric

* Re: Build List Limits and Hotseat
@ 2003-11-21  1:13         ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2003-11-21  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald, Lincoln Peters; +Cc: Elijah Meeks, Xconq list

> > If you really want to do this, and you want
> security, I'd imagine that
> > the best solution would be for the screen to go
> blank when one player's
> > turn ends, a message pops up saying whose turn it
> is and asks for that
> > player's password.  When the correct password is
> entered, the
> > appropriate player's view would appear.
>
> Strategic Conquest was like that.
>
> Eric

Yep, that's how it's done on the games that use it.
It'd also be great for designing, of course, because
you can play out each nation, but I'm pretty sure that
hotseat is a feature included for most turn-based
tactical and strategy games.