public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* New game by Elijah Meeks
@ 2004-06-08  1:11 Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-06-08  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I have checked in Elijah's new Second Korean War game. A complex game set
in the near future. Highly recommended.

Hans

* Re: New game by Elijah Meeks
@ 2004-06-08 23:28 ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-06-08 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Korea 2006 (For lack of a better name, I'm open to
suggestions) is meant to be a mix of serious wargame
and fun, grand strategy.  Units are purchased in one
turn, from a pool of points, which is unrealistic on
the part of carriers and other warships, but I think
it makes for better gameplay.  Units are reduced in
effectiveness through combat and can be refitted or
reinforced.  In the base module, everyone has access
to every unit (Except for the skipjet and the pave low
helicopter, which aren't available yet) while in Korea
2006 Japan and the USA have significantly better tech
than the other nations.  There is no tech advancement,
given the time scale of the game, though I plan to
introduce it for later games using this system as well
as the base module.

Known issues:

The AI will not build anything unless it has Modern
Surface tech.  I don't know why but you can see this
by changing the side data for the first entry on
starting tech from '-2' to '0'.

The AI will not reinforce or refit its combat units.
This isn't so bad, because these actions cost points
and, when supply rules are on, render a unit unable to
attack in that round.  It actually proves to be a
legitimate strategy to save all your purchase points
to buy new units and let your combat units die on the
front.  This may change, though, when experience comes
into play.

The AI doesn't deal well with ZOC.  Again, this isn't
so bad, except an AI turn will take longer and rather
than attack a blocking unit, it'll just let the unit
go to reserve.  This is why ZOC is just an option.  I
think the game plays better with ZOC, because stalled
AI units still defend, so it makes the AI more
conservative rather than crippled.

Occasionally the game will hang.  This is bad.  I
don't know why, but when it happens and you jumpt to
design mode, the side on whose turn the game has hung
will have a unit with 1/0 ACP or 7/0 ACP and when you
delete it, the game goes back to normal.  I don't know
why it does this, but fortunately it's rare.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it and I'd love to
hear what people think of it.  I'd especially
appreciate word on any gameplay/design bugs.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

* Withdraw Bug
@ 2004-06-09 20:04   ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-06-09 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Units that are forced to retreat with the
withdraw-chance-per-attack table can cause a game to
freeze.  This was the problem with Korea 2006.  I
suspect it's a combination of this table with ZOC
and/or wreck-typing, and will do some more testing to
find out.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

* Re: Withdraw Bug
@ 2004-06-11  6:50     ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-06-11  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: xconq7

>Units that are forced to retreat with the
>withdraw-chance-per-attack table can cause a game to
>freeze.  This was the problem with Korea 2006.  I
>suspect it's a combination of this table with ZOC
>and/or wreck-typing, and will do some more testing to
>find out.

Excellent. If you can pin down exactly what combination of factors that
triggers the bug it will be much easier to fix.

Hans

* Re: Withdraw Bug
@ 2004-06-11 23:31       ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-06-11 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

I'm having no luck producing this error in a smaller
game.  It looks like, within Korea 2006, it happens
when a unit is wrecked, and that wreck-type checks and
receives a true from the withdraw-chance table AND the
cell it is supposed to withdraw into is in an enemy
ZOC while it is in a ZOC.  The unit ends up with 1/0
ACP or 5/0 ACP or 7/0 ACP (Why it varies doesn't seem
to be apparent).

I've pulled out the auto-withdraw from Korea 2006, and
it wasn't that big a feature, so this isn't a
high-priority bug.

--- Hans Ronne <hronne@comhem.se> wrote:
> >Units that are forced to retreat with the
> >withdraw-chance-per-attack table can cause a game
> >freeze.  This was the problem with Korea 2006.  I
> >suspect it's a combination of this table with ZOC
> >and/or wreck-typing, and will do some more testing
> >find out.
>
> Excellent. If you can pin down exactly what
> combination of factors that
> triggers the bug it will be much easier to fix.
>
> Hans

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

* Appropriating Abandonware Graphics
@ 2004-06-11 23:37         ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-06-11 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Less a technical than a legal question, does anyone
know an official position on use of abandonware for
open source projects?  On the-underdogs.org, there's
Master of Magic and People's General, both of which
have a slew of graphics that I'd like to use and, I
think, would be useful for other designers.  I assume
it's verboten, but I've never heard about it one way
or the other.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/