public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Miniatures and Figurines as a Source for Xconq Images
@ 2004-08-07 22:15 Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-07 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hello Xconq Game Designers,

   I have been experimenting with the usage of casted, painted
miniatures as a source for Xconq images. I have found that many of the
Web sites hawking such wares will display decent images of them.
   Using GIMP (or probably any other decent image editor), one can trim
out the backgrounds (which are typically either white, a display cloth,
or a gaming scenario terrain or structure) and adjust the lighting
contrasts. (GIMP has an intelligent scissors tool, which works pretty
well if you give it enough points along the outer hull of the region of
interest). I am still experimenting with color reductions, to make sure
that too much detail doesn't get lost.
   I have just checked in an example, Braveheart, which came from an
image of a figurine being sold by the Wee Tartan Shop. It looks okay at
64x64, but it seems too fuzzy to me at smaller scales. I think that if
the image is posterized, has a more intelligent color reduction, or is
further sharped, the details might stand out better. I do think that, at
64x64, most people should be able to tell that he has a targe on his
left arm, and is in the process of whipping out a claymore from behind
his back.
   The new GIF is 'images/wrekcreation.gif' and the IMF for it is
'lib/wreckreation.imf'.

   Anyway, I just thought I would mention this as some possibly useful
information.

Eric

P.S. I am not sure what intellectual property law thinks about such
derivative works, as the case may be. Probably it is best to attribute
the original source in the IMF 'notes' property (something I have not
yet done).

* Re: Miniatures and Figurines as a Source for Xconq Images
@ 2004-08-11 10:45 ` Erik Sigra
From: Erik Sigra @ 2004-08-11 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

lördagen den 7 augusti 2004 21.07 skrev Eric McDonald:
> Hello Xconq Game Designers,
>
>    I have been experimenting with the usage of casted, painted
> miniatures as a source for Xconq images. I have found that many of the
> Web sites hawking such wares will display decent images of them.
[...]
> P.S. I am not sure what intellectual property law thinks about such
> derivative works, as the case may be. Probably it is best to attribute
> the original source in the IMF 'notes' property (something I have not
> yet done).

Just make sure you get a copyright agreement from the copyright holder, where
he allows distribution under the GNU General Public License. Preferably
signed on paper.