public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: Re: SDL Interface Development
@ 2004-10-31 17:45 ejessen
From: ejessen @ 2004-10-31 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skeezics Boondoggle, xconq7

I concur on the dependencies.
I have no problem with pulling in lots of 3rd party code, BUT
1. it should be OS-independent
2. it should be included inside the Xconq build.  Otherwise, you can spend forever just trying to get
everything to compile clean, before you can start any
work.  You've raised the barrier to entry so high, that
nobody but the most fanatical will attempt to maintain
the code.  Which means the program will die out when
the fanatics move on.

Erik

@ 2004-10-31 18:08 ` D. Cooper Stevenson
From: D. Cooper Stevenson @ 2004-10-31 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

On Sunday 31 October 2004 16:28, ejessen@adelphia.net wrote:
> [not including the libraries in the build raises] the barrier to entry so
high, that
> nobody but the most fanatical will attempt to maintain
> the code.  Which means the program will die out when
> the fanatics move on.

Insightful.

On Sunday 31 October 2004 08:52, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> Just to chime in from the Solaris camp - this all sounds great, as long as
> the dependent libraries are reasonably cross-platform and the build for
> non-Linux/Windows machines (is that the diplomatic way to say "real Unix"
> machines? :-) doesn't become untenable.

Absolutely.

Here's a quick 'fact check' listing the library dependancies and weather or
not they currently support Linux, Sun, and Windows platforms:

Libary           Linux         Mac 9        Mac OSX        Sun        Windows
------           -----         ------      ---------      -----      ---------

libsdl             X              X            X            X           X
paragui            X              X            X            ?           X
FreeType           X              X            X            X           X
Zlib               X              ?            ?            ?           X
libpng             X              X            X            X           X
SDL_Image          X              X            X            X           X
Expat              X              X            X            X           X
OpenGL             X              X            X            X           X

I was conservative. I'm pretty confident that Zlib is supported by Sun :).
Overall my impression is that ParaGUI is careful about cross-platform
compatibility.

Please modify as necessary.

-Coop

* Re: SDL Interface Development
@ 2004-10-31 18:57   ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2004-10-31 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. Cooper Stevenson; +Cc: Xconq list

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 09:48, D. Cooper Stevenson wrote:
> On Sunday 31 October 2004 16:28, ejessen@adelphia.net wrote:
> > [not including the libraries in the build raises] the barrier to entry so
> high, that
> > nobody but the most fanatical will attempt to maintain
> > the code.  Which means the program will die out when
> > the fanatics move on.
>
> Insightful.
>
> On Sunday 31 October 2004 08:52, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> > Just to chime in from the Solaris camp - this all sounds great, as long as
> > the dependent libraries are reasonably cross-platform and the build for
> > non-Linux/Windows machines (is that the diplomatic way to say "real Unix"
> > machines? :-) doesn't become untenable.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> Here's a quick 'fact check' listing the library dependancies and weather or
> not they currently support Linux, Sun, and Windows platforms:
>
> Libary           Linux         Mac 9        Mac OSX        Sun        Windows
> ------           -----         ------      ---------      -----      ---------
>
> libsdl             X              X            X            X           X
> paragui            X              X            X            ?           X
> FreeType           X              X            X            X           X
> Zlib               X              ?            ?            ?           X
> libpng             X              X            X            X           X
> SDL_Image          X              X            X            X           X
> Expat              X              X            X            X           X
> OpenGL             X              X            X            X           X

zlib is available on MacOS X, although one might need to download it via
Fink (the MacOS X port of apt-get).

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

You will gain money by an immoral action.

* Re: SDL Interface Development
@ 2004-10-31 19:09 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-31 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ejessen; +Cc: Skeezics Boondoggle, xconq7

Hi Erik, it's been a while since you've been heard from,

> 1. it should be OS-independent

All of it is.

> 2. it should be included inside the Xconq build.  Otherwise, you can spend forever just trying to get
> everything to compile clean, before you can start any
> work.

Possibly. I think that between providing installers for precompiled
binaries for MinGW32 and providing source RPM's for Linux and other
platforms, there may not be a need to bundle everything together. But,
if you, Skeezics, and others would prefer a giant source tarball with
all the dep config scripts slaved to Xconq's one configure Script to
rule them all, I will consider it. I would still prefer to provide the
packages separately. Among other things, it will help to foster good
will with the developers of the various prereq software components.

> You've raised the barrier to entry so high, that
> nobody but the most fanatical will attempt to maintain
> the code.  Which means the program will die out when
> the fanatics move on.

As I mentioned in earlier postings, it is not necessary to always keep
up with the latest and greatest. It is enough to set a standard as far
as the prereqs go, and then adhere to that standard. Upgrades to the
prereq packages only need to be done occasionally.

Eric