public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* New Source Tarball for Xconq
@ 2004-08-30  1:53 Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-30  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

As an accompaniment to the new Windows installer that I recently
released, I also made a new source tarball available a couple of hours
ago. Same location:
   http://xconq_hacker.home.comcast.net/

Enjoy,
   Eric

* Sound Support
@ 2004-08-30  2:46 ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-08-30  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I know the Mac can play sounds, any chance of the SDL
/ TCLTK version being able to in the near future?

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

* Re: Sound Support
@ 2004-08-30  2:54   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-30  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: xconq7

Elijah Meeks wrote:

> I know the Mac can play sounds, any chance of the SDL
> / TCLTK version being able to in the near future?

I've been thinking about it wrt the SDL interface. SDL does have
built-in sound support. The question is getting the sounds into the
right format. It is certainly somewhere on my agenda.

Is the new Windows SDL interface working okay for you? I tested with
Opal and didn't have any problems.

The two things that are most pressing on my SDL agenda as of right now:
(1) Add support for modal dialog windows. This is particularly crucial
for yes/no/cancel type things. Right now, if you type "Q" in the Windows
interface, you have no indication that the SDL interface is asking you
if you want to save the game before you quit, even though it is. If you
type "y" in answer to the hidden question, the game will quit. Since
this is not at all obvious, it would be nice to provide some sort of
visual indicator. I think I will probably use graphical buttons for
"Yes", "No", and "Cancel"; that way I can set them up to be customized
on a per-game basis later on.
(2) Add a log panel so that users can have written feedback. Under
Linux, an user can see log messages in the terminal window, but under
Windows there is no visible terminal window, and so I need to make sure
that the messages go somewhere where the user can see them. And, as
Lincoln pointed out, it is annoying to keep switching between windows to
see the output.

Eric

* Re: Sound Support
@ 2004-08-30 15:05     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-30 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Eric McDonald wrote:

> The two things that are most pressing on my SDL agenda as of right now:
> (1) Add support for modal dialog windows.

By "modal dialog windows", I don't necessarily mean windows in the
classical sense, since SDL does not presently support mutiple windows. I
just mean a panel-like region that sits on top of part of the map or
something like that, and which gets first dibs on most incoming events,
such as mouse motion, mouse clicks, and key presses.

Eric