public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: cstevens@gencom.us
Cc: mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca,
Subject: Re: GIS Tutorial Online
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:29:00 -0000	[thread overview]

D. Cooper Stevenson wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 10:32, Eric McDonald wrote:
>
>>If people want to try doing things this way, it could probably be done
>>by creating two new layers (x-pixel-coords and y-pixel-coords), which
>>would contain the pixel coords within the map image that are associated
>>with each hex. Then, instead of indirectly accessing an hex image
>>through terrain type, it would be pulled from this layer instead. I
>>haven't thought through the details; _just throwing out an idea....
>>
> This would save a _ton_ of work. Do you think you could still give
> others the flexibility of assigning other tile attributes (vegetation,
> climate, rainfall, etc) using this method?

Xconq does not inherently know anything about the attributes you listed,
and so it would currently be meaningless to associate portions of an
image created from such GIS data with them. To handle such things, you
would need to determine how they were relevant to your game, and then
use the appropriate GDL tables and properties to emulate them with
respect to their repesentation as coatings, say.

Eric