public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.com,  xconq-hackers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Thoughts on terrain imaging
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:

> I decided to try implementing these ideas, but I wanted to do it in such a
> way that I could test each step and see that it was working before moving
> on to the next one, so as a very first step, I wrote a simple game module
> which would trigger the "subimage" code, figuring that next I could move
> on to making it clip out the subimages in a hex grid instead of the
> existing one-dimensional linear offset.  The results are at these URLs:
>    http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/temporary/maptest.g
>    http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/temporary/override.gif

> * It doesn't work in the TCL interface except on the highest
> magnification.  At other magnifications, the affected cells are just
> black.  As far as I can tell, for some reason the automatic scale-down
> code isn't running.  Isn't it supposed to?

Yes, I thought so. I think it does with unit images.

I played around with 'maptest.g' for a little while. If you reduce the
image cutout size down to 44x48 and change the subimage selection
offsets to 44, then the subimages show up at normal resolution. It does
not appear to matter whether the 'terrain' keyword is used or not.

Other thing that I noticed is that the documentation still refers to a
'bigicons' gvar, but this is not to be found in 'keyword.def' or
'gvar'.def', and Xconq warns about it. Guess that needs to be taken out
of the documentation (unless we plan on trying to scale 44x44 don to
32x32, etc..., if it is not set).

> * It doesn't seem to work in the SDL interface at all - I get a segfault,
> see attached backtrace.  I haven't tested this extensively at all, so it's

I looked at your backtrace; I will attempt to track down the problem
soon. Unless you take care of it first....

Eric