public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Mac OSX (10.3) GUI Bug in latest package
@ 2003-12-16 16:44 Bob Beaty
From: Bob Beaty @ 2003-12-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Guys,
   I got the latest Mac OS X package from Hans' site and tried it.
   There's a minor GUI bug in the release that wasn't in the previous OS
X packaged binaries - and it involves the window that pops up to
designate the production of each city.
   In the window that has the picklist of what each city is to build
(I'm using the standard game as an example) the picklist extends past
the window on the right. The window clips it OK, but you miss the
'handle' on the picklist.
   Nothing major, but just wanted to let someone know so they can
verify/fix the minor issue.

	Thanks,
		Bob (drbob@TheManFromSPUD.com)
	The Man from S.P.U.D.
	We will write no code before it's designed.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 1336 bytes --]

Guys,

  I got the latest Mac OS X package from Hans' site and tried it.

  There's a minor GUI bug in the release that wasn't in the previous
OS X packaged binaries - and it involves the window that pops up to
designate the production of each city.

  In the window that has the picklist of what each city is to build
(I'm using the standard game as an example) the picklist extends past
the window on the right. The window clips it OK, but you miss the
'handle' on the picklist.

  Nothing major, but just wanted to let someone know so they can
verify/fix the minor issue.

<x-tad-bigger>

	The Man from S.P.U.D.</smaller></fontfamily><x-tad-bigger>

* Re: Mac OSX (10.3) GUI Bug in latest package
@ 2003-12-16 18:56 ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-12-16 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Beaty; +Cc: xconq7

>Guys,
>  I got the latest Mac OS X package from Hans' site and tried it.
>  There's a minor GUI bug in the release that wasn't in the previous OS X
>packaged binaries - and it involves the window that pops up to designate
>the production of each city.
>  In the window that has the picklist of what each city is to build (I'm
>using the standard game as an example) the picklist extends past the
>window on the right. The window clips it OK, but you miss the 'handle' on
>the picklist.
>  Nothing major, but just wanted to let someone know so they can
>verify/fix the minor issue.

Thanks. I'll look into this.

Hans

* Re: Mac OSX (10.3) GUI Bug in latest package
@ 2003-12-17 10:27 ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-12-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Beaty; +Cc: xconq7

>Guys,
>  I got the latest Mac OS X package from Hans' site and tried it.
>  There's a minor GUI bug in the release that wasn't in the previous OS X
>packaged binaries - and it involves the window that pops up to designate
>the production of each city.
>  In the window that has the picklist of what each city is to build (I'm
>using the standard game as an example) the picklist extends past the
>window on the right. The window clips it OK, but you miss the 'handle' on
>the picklist.
>  Nothing major, but just wanted to let someone know so they can
>verify/fix the minor issue.

I have now checked into this. I guess you must have been playing something
like the "Cast Iron Life" game? It has extremely long unit type names which
will not fit into the popup window, like "Smoothbore Musket Regular
Infantry Division". We could truncate names like this before loading them
into the menu, but then one would not be able to tell the difference
between a "Smoothbore Musket Regular Infantry Division" and a "Smoothbore
Musket Regular Infantry Regiment". So the present solution, though less
than perfect, is probably the best we can do right now  :-/.

The best solution is of course to ask game designers not to use extremely
long names that will not fit into a window.

Hans

* Re: Mac OSX (10.3) GUI Bug in latest package
@ 2003-12-17 16:32   ` Bob Beaty
From: Bob Beaty @ 2003-12-17 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

Hans,
   Actually, I was playing the standard game, but I get your point.
   Interestingly, in the standard game, all the names are a reasonable
size. Hmmm...
   Are there any preferences, or dot-file settings that I need to remove
in order to reset the width of that pick-list? When the pick list is
expanded to show all the contents, the width of the expanded 'window'
is less then the width of the pick-list widget.
   Don't know if this helps, but I appreciate your trying to help.

				Bob

On Dec 16, 2003, at 4:54 PM, Hans Ronne wrote:

>> Guys,
>>  I got the latest Mac OS X package from Hans' site and tried it.
>>  There's a minor GUI bug in the release that wasn't in the previous
>> OS X
>> packaged binaries - and it involves the window that pops up to
>> designate
>> the production of each city.
>>  In the window that has the picklist of what each city is to build
>> (I'm
>> using the standard game as an example) the picklist extends past the
>> window on the right. The window clips it OK, but you miss the
>> 'handle' on
>> the picklist.
>>  Nothing major, but just wanted to let someone know so they can
>> verify/fix the minor issue.
>
> I have now checked into this. I guess you must have been playing
> something
> like the "Cast Iron Life" game? It has extremely long unit type names
> which
> will not fit into the popup window, like "Smoothbore Musket Regular
> Infantry Division". We could truncate names like this before loading
> them
> into the menu, but then one would not be able to tell the difference
> between a "Smoothbore Musket Regular Infantry Division" and a
> "Smoothbore
> Musket Regular Infantry Regiment". So the present solution, though less
> than perfect, is probably the best we can do right now  :-/.
>
> The best solution is of course to ask game designers not to use
> extremely
> long names that will not fit into a window.
>
> Hans

	Thanks,
		Bob (drbob@TheManFromSPUD.com)
	The Man from S.P.U.D.
	We will write no code before it's designed.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 2636 bytes --]

Hans,

  Actually, I was playing the standard game, but I get your point.

  Interestingly, in the standard game, all the names are a reasonable
size. Hmmm...

  Are there any preferences, or dot-file settings that I need to
remove in order to reset the width of that pick-list? When the pick
list is expanded to show all the contents, the width of the expanded
'window' is less then the width of the pick-list widget.

  Don't know if this helps, but I appreciate your trying to help.

				Bob

On Dec 16, 2003, at 4:54 PM, Hans Ronne wrote:

<excerpt><excerpt>Guys,

 I got the latest Mac OS X package from Hans' site and tried it.

 There's a minor GUI bug in the release that wasn't in the previous OS X

packaged binaries - and it involves the window that pops up to
designate

the production of each city.

 In the window that has the picklist of what each city is to build (I'm

using the standard game as an example) the picklist extends past the

window on the right. The window clips it OK, but you miss the 'handle'
on

the picklist.

 Nothing major, but just wanted to let someone know so they can

verify/fix the minor issue.

</excerpt>

I have now checked into this. I guess you must have been playing
something

like the "Cast Iron Life" game? It has extremely long unit type names
which

will not fit into the popup window, like "Smoothbore Musket Regular

Infantry Division". We could truncate names like this before loading
them

into the menu, but then one would not be able to tell the difference

between a "Smoothbore Musket Regular Infantry Division" and a
"Smoothbore

Musket Regular Infantry Regiment". So the present solution, though less

than perfect, is probably the best we can do right now  :-/.

The best solution is of course to ask game designers not to use
extremely

long names that will not fit into a window.

Hans

</excerpt><x-tad-bigger>

@ 2003-12-17 16:33     ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-12-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Beaty; +Cc: xconq7

>Hans,
>  Actually, I was playing the standard game, but I get your point.
>  Interestingly, in the standard game, all the names are a reasonable
>size. Hmmm...
>  Are there any preferences, or dot-file settings that I need to remove in
>order to reset the width of that pick-list? When the pick list is expanded
>to show all the contents, the width of the expanded 'window' is less then
>the width of the pick-list widget.
>  Don't know if this helps, but I appreciate your trying to help.

The XconqPrefs file is now kept in the xconq/save folder. You could try to
delete it, but I don't think it will affect the popup menu. Possibly, this
is a MacOS10.3 bug, since I cannot reproduce it under 10.2. On my computer,
the popup menubar is always the same width as the menu, as it should be.
Are other popup menubars also too wide in your case?

Hans

* Re: Mac OSX (10.3) GUI Bug in latest package
@ 2003-12-18  5:22       ` Bob Beaty
From: Bob Beaty @ 2003-12-18  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7