public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* bomber paratrooper bug
@ 2003-11-10 21:15 Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-10 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

In standard Xconq it seems that infantry get picked up and co-opted by
bombers willy nilly.  I think they get picked up whenever the infantry
are asleep, even though I really just want them to guard the town I've
left them in.  Also I'm not sure, but I think they just got picked up
when I was trying to move around on the battlefield.  Anyways it was all
rather clumsy and unexpected / undesired.

There really should be separate "wait for transport" or "wait for
airlift" commands.  "Sleeping" is not synonymous with these.  This is
the bane of some other games too, I think Call To Power II had this
problem.  Freeciv also does some irritating things this way.

I also accidentally found I could Disembark a bomber from a town, which
is very strange.  If it doesn't matter tactically, it's confusing.  If
it does matter tactically, why include such a picky detail?

Has anyone ever implemented a "Patrol" command, with waypoints?  This
was very useful in ancient games like Strategic Conquest (although it
only had point-to-point patrols, not waypoints).  I don't see how you'd
patrol the oceans for incoming ships any other way.  It's way too
tedious to do it manually.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-11-10 10:39 UTC | newest]