public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* What is SDL client supposed to look like?
@ 2003-11-15  8:43 Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-15  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

Is the SDL client supposed to be rather incomplete?  I have no scenario
selector, no pulldown menus, and no obvious way to quit the app.
Although it has some nicely drawn click-icons, it appears to be little
more than a proof of concept.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.

* Re: What is SDL client supposed to look like?
@ 2003-11-15 19:32 ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2003-11-15 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: Xconq list

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 22:31, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Is the SDL client supposed to be rather incomplete?  I have no scenario
> selector, no pulldown menus, and no obvious way to quit the app.
> Although it has some nicely drawn click-icons, it appears to be little
> more than a proof of concept.

I'm not an SDL developer, but I think that, yes, the SDL interface is
incomplete.  With all of the work currently being done on the Xconq
kernel, the SDL interface gets little attention (as long as the tcltk
and Mac interfaces work, creating a new interface is not a high
priority).

* RTFM (was Re: What is SDL client supposed to look like?)
@ 2003-11-15 21:24   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-15 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: Xconq list

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> I'm not an SDL developer, but I think that, yes, the SDL interface is
> incomplete.

And if someone (not you, Lincoln) would have RTFM (in this case,
INSTALL-win.txt), he would have seen this clearly mentioned at
the beginning of the document. This was also mentioned in the old
INSTALL-win document and in email (including on the list). It
doesn't take much work to RTFLA (where LA = "list archive"), given
that it is searchable. I've got better things to do than
spoon-feed someone with information that is readily available....

Eric

* WFM? WTF? (was RTFM (was Re: What is SDL client supposed to look like?))
@ 2003-11-16  0:30     ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-16  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

Eric McDonald wrote:

> And if someone (not you, Lincoln) would have RTFM (in this case,
> INSTALL-win.txt), he would have seen this clearly mentioned at
> the beginning of the document.

Why on Earth would anyone read INSTALL-win.txt in order to know the
status of SDL development?  The logical place to look is in the \SDL
folder.  Which is where I looked, and there's nothing there.  Don't crab
at me if you have a different "mental model" of where all the
information is supposed to go, and you think it's supposed to be
"obvious" to newbies where the information is disseminated.  It isn't
obvious, and newbies don't know your estabilshed developer rituals.
Thus it's incumbent upon you to answer questions posed in a timely
manner rather than simply saying RTFM.

Especially when the answer is 1 simple sentence, like "yes the SDL
client is very much incomplete."

Of course I *could* just read all the source code and reconstruct a
mental picture from scratch, but that's what I call a Sheer Waste Of
Time as opposed to just asking people.

> It
> doesn't take much work to RTFLA (where LA = "list archive"), given
> that it is searchable.

I RTFLA before posting.  It was rather disjoint on the subject of SDL.
In 3 pages of posts, the 1st page was all my own posts.  Nothing recent
about it.  Again, when the answer doesn't immediately pop out from
searching, reading through every gory detail is a Sheer Waste Of Time.
The important question is whether you guys even have any committment to
the SDL client, whether anyone is doing any active work on it at all.

> I've got better things to do than
> spoon-feed someone with information that is readily available....

I bet you haven't had a newcomer show up to your Xconq project in a
looooooooooooong time.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.