public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* I must have an answer regarding CVS
@ 2003-11-16  1:06 Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-16  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

I must have an answer regarding your CVS checkin policies.  If you
cannot / will not tell me how contributions become part of the source
pool, then I am not going to make any contributions.  I will get back to
my own proprietary development and just consider this a worthwhile but
failed attempt at coordinating with a particular group of open source
developers.  Or, resume with projects like Nebula that are bigger and
more organized for newbies and external contributions.

One thing is clear to me at present: I am not satisfied with the
timeframe in which you guys answer simple questions, assuming you even
answer at all.  I don't expect every question to be answered, or every
question to be answered right away.  But I do expect some of them to be
answered promptly.  Asking the same questions 2, 3, 4 times gets old.

Right now I have functional VS 2003 solution files.  I *could*
incorporate an automagical Windows binary packaging system, but not
until you tell me how you handle CVS.  My own productivity is rather
dependent on source control, it's how I work.  I could be fixing bugs
and implementing features... but not until you tell me what your CVS
drill is.

You do not have a FM about this.  I'm not going to waste time
reconstructing your policies and procedures by poring endlessly over the
archives.  Assuming there even *is* a clear statement somewhere in the
archives, which I highly doubt, there's no reason to assume that past
statements describe present practices.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.

* Re: I must have an answer regarding CVS
@ 2003-11-16  1:20 ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2003-11-16  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: Xconq list

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 16:53, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> I must have an answer regarding your CVS checkin policies.  If you
> cannot / will not tell me how contributions become part of the source
> pool, then I am not going to make any contributions.  I will get back to
> my own proprietary development and just consider this a worthwhile but
> failed attempt at coordinating with a particular group of open source
> developers.  Or, resume with projects like Nebula that are bigger and
> more organized for newbies and external contributions.

Assuming that it's a relatively small contribution (less than 100K), you
can probably post it to the list, and then someone who has write access
to CVS will check it in.  If it's something big, you can e-mail it
directly to someone (usually Hans) and get the same result.  Although if
it's something really big, I'd suggest explaining it on the mailing list
before sending it to anyone.

I have never tried to contribute anything larger than 100K at a time,
but e-mail seems to work for small things.

I don't know what the policy for CVS access is (if there is an official
policy), but if you can make a significant contribution (and what you
have been describing sounds significant to me, although I don't use
Windows), I would expect someone to grant you write access to CVS.

(I didn't respond to your earlier e-mails regarding CVS because, as I
said, I just send contributions via e-mail).

* RE: I must have an answer regarding CVS
@ 2003-11-16  7:27   ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-16  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

From: Lincoln Peters [mailto:sampln@sbcglobal.net]

> (I didn't respond to your earlier e-mails regarding CVS because, as I
> said, I just send contributions via e-mail).

Thanks for shedding some light.  Incidentally, for anyone else who
doesn't feel they're "quite well enough informed" to answer questions
definitively... newbies very much appreciate the shedding of *some*
light, even if it's incomplete and contains caveats.  And I'm sure that
would take burdens off of people who know definitively, but who are
rather busy.

Cheers,
Brandon