public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: New Interpreter (was RE: Marketing Xconq?)
@ 2003-11-19 12:28 Richard Hunt
From: Richard Hunt @ 2003-11-19 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

>Well, what platform are you on?
>If the platform is Linux or Solaris, then chances are >good that
>Tcl/Tk is already installed.

I am using Debian, but I am a bit anally retentive (how do you spell that :) so I do my installation entirely using dselect, which seems to avoid installing a lot of packages that I want. I tend to avoid tcl/tk programs simply because they tend to be slow on my old computer, and xconq is the only tcl/tk program I still want to run.

Another thing I just remembered: with the version that I am using (a CVS checkout from about a month ago, since I don't have internet access on my pc during term time) there is a config.cache file in the xconq directory which means that eg. the --tclconfigdir and ---tkconfigdir flags are ignored.

Richard Hunt, 0102806h@student.gla.ac.uk

* Re: New Interpreter (was RE: Marketing Xconq?)
@ 2003-11-19 16:54 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-19 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Hunt; +Cc: xconq7

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Richard Hunt wrote:

> I am using Debian, but I am a bit anally retentive (how do you
>spell that :)

AR ;-)

>so I do my installation entirely using dselect,
>which seems to avoid installing a lot of packages that I want. I
>tend to avoid tcl/tk programs simply because they tend to be slow
>on my old computer, and xconq is the only tcl/tk program I still
>want to run.

I understand. Up until the beginning of last year, I was in the
same situtation. Even now, I am very discriminating about what I
install; I guess old habits die hard.

> Another thing I just remembered: with the version that I am
>using (a CVS checkout from about a month ago, since I don't have
>internet access on my pc during term time)

That is probably better for the grades (marks), I imagine. :-)

>there is a
>config.cache file in the xconq directory which means that eg. the
>--tclconfigdir and ---tkconfigdir flags are ignored.

Hmmm... That probably shouldn't be there.
You should be able to do a "make distclean" to make it go away
though. Or "rm".

Eric

* RE: New Interpreter (was RE: Marketing Xconq?)
@ 2003-11-18  4:05     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-18  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Jessen; +Cc: 'xconq'

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Erik Jessen wrote:

> My thought was this:
> - add an interpreter, using a standard language (like Perl) that can
> simply access existing data-structures.
>
> The hard part (at least to me) is: how do you decide when to execute the
> new programs?  It's easy to load data-structures at initialization time
> & then have canned code execute it (what we do today).  It's harder to
> say "execute this subroutine any time combat occurs".

Well, with the Tcl/Tk interface we access a Tcl interpreter
from C code all the time. As long as whatever language you have
in mind can expose its interpreter to C in some for or another,
you can call back into the interpreter and ask it to do things on
your behalf. And vice versa, if the interpreter can call C
functions. Then it is simply a matter of putting hooks into the
relevant code sections.  But my experience with Tcl and Xconq is
that this sort of arrangement is harder to debug.

Also, with a full blown interpreter being used, one must consider
the security aspect. Especially since Xconq has the setgid bit set
on Unix/Linux systems....

> Alas, I've not been able to locate my examples (I hope they weren't on
> my system that had the HDD crash), but I'm hopeful of backups.

Good luck finding them (and anything else you lost).

Eric

* RE: New Interpreter (was RE: Marketing Xconq?)
@ 2003-11-18  4:01   ` Erik Jessen

From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-18  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Jessen; +Cc: 'xconq'

Hi Erik,