public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Behind the Lines
@ 2003-11-23 14:51 Bill Macon
From: Bill Macon @ 2003-11-23 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Jim Cobb wrote in his latest "Behind the Lines" column at Wargamer.com:

>>The possibility of playing Xconq almost made be become even more of a
>>geek. The game is similar to the Empire series but is much more flexible.
>>Views can be changed and the number of games and maps in the library,
>>ranging from ancient to future combat, is incredible. The trouble was it
>>required operating systems like Linux and Macintosh. Fortunately for us
>>chained to Windows, Eric MacDonald has posted a Windows version available
>>here. Install and join the party!

That's some good press and hopefully a few new folks will check out the
game.  Now, it would be really nice if y'all can quit yer bickering and get
v7.5 out the door.  All the chatter and fussing about revamping the code to
C++ or Python can wait for later.  Transforming the code to 00 can be a goal
for v7.6 or a new version v8.0.  Xconq is what it is for the time being.
Hans Ronne has done a lot of hard work finding and fixing bugs.  Eric
McDonald has provided a great service by making a Windows install package
available.  These guys and everyone else who have contributed improvements
need a big Thank You!  Clean up a few remaining things, update the
documentation, and get it released already.

Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups!  Get downloads, videos,
and more here.  http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx

* Re: Behind the Lines
@ 2003-11-23 18:44 ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-11-23 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Macon; +Cc: xconq7

>Jim Cobb wrote in his latest "Behind the Lines" column at Wargamer.com:
>
>>>The possibility of playing Xconq almost made be become even more of a
>>>geek. The game is similar to the Empire series but is much more flexible.
>>>Views can be changed and the number of games and maps in the library,
>>>ranging from ancient to future combat, is incredible. The trouble was it
>>>required operating systems like Linux and Macintosh. Fortunately for us
>>>chained to Windows, Eric MacDonald has posted a Windows version available
>>>here. Install and join the party!

Great news. I had some problems finding the page, but here is the link:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/behind_the_lines_13/page2.asp

>That's some good press and hopefully a few new folks will check out the
>game.  Now, it would be really nice if y'all can quit yer bickering and get
>v7.5 out the door.  All the chatter and fussing about revamping the code to
>C++ or Python can wait for later.  Transforming the code to 00 can be a goal
>for v7.6 or a new version v8.0.  Xconq is what it is for the time being.
>Hans Ronne has done a lot of hard work finding and fixing bugs.  Eric
>McDonald has provided a great service by making a Windows install package
>available.  These guys and everyone else who have contributed improvements
>need a big Thank You!  Clean up a few remaining things, update the
>documentation, and get it released already.

Thank you for your kind words. We will try to get 7.5 out as soon as
possible, but there are still some bugs that have to be fixed, apart from
updating the docs and game modules. I will make complete MacOS packages
available soon, so that a wider range of Mac users also can test pre-7.5,
similar to the Windows users.

Hans

* Re: Behind the Lines
@ 2003-11-23 19:51 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-23 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Macon; +Cc: xconq7

Hi Bill, others,

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Bill Macon wrote:

> That's some good press and hopefully a few new folks will check out the
> game.

Thanks for being a good press agent.

> Hans Ronne has done a lot of hard work finding and fixing bugs.

Yes, a big round of applause for Hans. He's been plugging away at
this for, what, about 3 years now, sometimes without any
indication that Xconq had any players. If he hadn't got it to the
state that I rediscovered it in a little over 5 months ago, I very
much doubt that I would have joined the project....

> Clean up a few remaining things, update the
> documentation, and get it released already.

We're working on it. I've done 4 CVS checkins in the past 24
hours, and plan on a few more for today. Hans has also done a few.
Jim did some documentation additions last week (aside from the
one he mentioned to the list). I think Peter is also out there,
perhaps brewing up something big....

I too want to see 7.5 get released soon (but not before it is
ready), so that I can work on more glamorous aspects of the game
system.

  Regards,
   Eric