public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Use of cygncurses7.dll or cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-20 23:49 Martin Fehlhaber
From: Martin Fehlhaber @ 2003-12-20 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hi

Lately I found an old version of VC (6.0) lying around. I have not been
programming for years, but wanted to find out if I'd be able to get the
sources, that were distributed by Eric (3003-12-14), to build. It worked ok
with some minor glitches, but I were not able to find out what cygncurses7.dll
or cygwin1.dll are used for. The game builds and runs without them it seems.

Regards,
Martin

http://photos.yahoo.com/

* Re: Use of cygncurses7.dll or cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-21  0:28 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-12-21  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Fehlhaber; +Cc: xconq7

Hi Martin,

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Martin Fehlhaber wrote:

> sources, that were distributed by Eric (3003-12-14), to build. It worked ok
> with some minor glitches, but I were not able to find out what cygncurses7.dll
> or cygwin1.dll are used for. The game builds and runs without them it seems.

Correct. cygwin1.dll is only needed with the Cygwin build to
provide a Unix-compatibility layer. But, as you noticed, Xconq
builds fine without Cygwin; I also build it under Mingw32, and
obviously the Cygwin DLL's are not needed in that case either.

The cygncurses7.dll is for supporting the Curses interface under
Cygwin. If you try building Cconq, you will likely encounter some
problems because you probably do not have a curses library on
your system. The same is true under Mingw32, and I am still
debating whether to add [part of] PDcurses to the Xconq
source tree in order to address this.

Glad to hear you were able to build with VC6. Based on your
experience, do you have anything to add to or amend in the
INSTALL-win.txt file?

  Regards,
    Eric