public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* game saving
@ 2003-12-16 11:49 Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2003-12-16 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

First of all, thanks to Hans for making it possible to save games in a
networked game.  That's been a glaring omission for a long time.

Now, about the "Save" command.  It now seems to be the same as "Save
As".  I know that the turn number has changed, but what if I feel like
saving to the same name each time?  In a non-networked game, there is
no need to include the turn number in the name.  Besides which I don't
want the extra prompts.  I just want to type "S" and have it save.
Otherwise, I won't get around to doing it often enough, and if there
is a crash (either due to xconq bugs, or something unrelated like my
laptop's suspend, or a power failure), then I'll lose data.

Would changing this one thing back cause problems for the rest of the
save logic (e.g. in terms of the networked games and everything)?

* Re: game saving
@ 2003-12-16 13:06 ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-12-16 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: xconq7

>First of all, thanks to Hans for making it possible to save games in a
>networked game.  That's been a glaring omission for a long time.
>
>Now, about the "Save" command.  It now seems to be the same as "Save
>As".  I know that the turn number has changed, but what if I feel like
>saving to the same name each time?  In a non-networked game, there is
>no need to include the turn number in the name.  Besides which I don't
>want the extra prompts.  I just want to type "S" and have it save.
>Otherwise, I won't get around to doing it often enough, and if there
>is a crash (either due to xconq bugs, or something unrelated like my
>laptop's suspend, or a power failure), then I'll lose data.

The problem is not with the turn number, which is very useful also in
single player games (I always found it difficult to keep track of the saved
game files). The fact that the dialog now pops up also when you pick "Save"
is just a bug in the new code. I have a fix which I will check in when it
has been tested on all platforms.

If you only want a single file with the most recently saved game you can
always turn on checkpoint saving in the preferences. Then you won't even
have to type "S" each turn.

Hans