* Failed Dependencies - Binutils
@ 2006-05-31 14:31 lightran
From: lightran @ 2006-05-31 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi, I?m triying to install the package binutils-2.10.91.0.4-1.i386 in red
hat as 4.0. the steps for install the package are:

         $ rpm -Uvh binutils_2.10.91.0.4-1.i386.rpm

 error: Failed dependencies:
             binutils < 2.13.90.0.16-5 conflicts with glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.13.i386

please help me with this problem.

Atte.
Roberto Parraguez S.
Chile.

* RE: Failed Dependencies - Binutils
@ 2006-05-31 15:33 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-31 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lightran, binutils

On 30 May 2006 14:54, lightran@vtr wrote:

> Hi, I?m triying to install the package binutils-2.10.91.0.4-1.i386 in red
> hat as 4.0. the steps for install the package are:
>
>          $ rpm -Uvh binutils_2.10.91.0.4-1.i386.rpm
>
>  error: Failed dependencies:
>              binutils < 2.13.90.0.16-5 conflicts with
> glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.13.i386
>

> please help me with this problem.

  You are trying to install a version of binutils that is many many many years
old and if you do so it will completely break your system because the version
of glibc you use is up-to-date and not compatible with such an old version of
binutils.

  Why are you trying to do that?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Failed Dependencies - Binutils
       [not found] <447491D80001C81F@hudson.vtr.net>
@ 2006-05-31 15:53 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-31 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lightran; +Cc: binutils

On 30 May 2006 19:28, lightran@vtr.net wrote:

> I?m triying to install oracle 9i database server in mi pc, and the engine
> present a problem while are installing, then i see the metalink for search
> solution for my problem. The solution recomended by oracle is upgrade the
> binutils(the version mencioned in the previous mail).

  That must be very old advice if it's telling you to try 2.10, which was
released 07-Nov-2000!  It was probably telling people there was a bug in 2.9
which affected the installation.  Your system probably already has an
up-to-date binutils, and although very occasionally old bugs are reintroduced,
it's more likely that whatever problem is affecting your installation isn't
the same bug, and that your up-to-date binutils probably already has the fix
for whatever bug that advice was talking about.

  If by any chance your system does have an old version of binutils, go for
the most recent release - 2.16 was the last, and 2.17 is coming up soon.

    cheers,
      DaveK