From: lkcl <luke.leighton@gmail.com>
To: Nick Alcock <nick.alcock@oracle.com>,
	Dmitry Selyutin <ghostmansd@gmail.com>
Cc: binutils@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Are big tests allowed in binutils?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 12:31:17 +0100	[thread overview]

sorry nick i am stuck with a rubbish mailer, rather than top-post i'm repeating your question: why not submit the full source of the autogenerator?

A: because the list of dependencies, whilst entirely FOSS, is absolutely mental and is completely outside of our control, copyright-wise.  it's also 4 levels deep dependencies and also includes *another* repository comprising CSV and markdown files extracted from the Power ISA Specification PDF [1] and microwatt [2]

now, Dmitry did write a small stand-alone program to autogenerate the test cases but he had to write that by hand.

our plan is to *autogenerate the autogenerator* [based on information that ultimately comes directly from the Power ISA Specification].

why?

1) because if mistakes are found they can be tracked back directly to the spec.  [we have found appx ... 15 corrections to the published spec because of this]

2) because (no implied criticism of anyone else that does do manual unit tests) we simply don't have time money or resources to throw brute-force at this so out of sheer forced pragmatism are doing more with less.

i have no view on whether the autogenerated-autogenerator should be submitted or whether the automated unit tests themselves should be submitted but i can say for sure you *really* don't want the full source code of the full software stack we have been developing for 2+ years as a hard critical build dependency of binutils.

l.

[1] https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=openpower-isa.git;a=tree;f=openpower/isa;hb=HEAD
https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=openpower-isa.git;a=tree;f=openpower/isatables;hb=HEAD

[2] https://github.com/antonblanchard/microwatt/blob/master/decode1.vhdl