* Are big tests allowed in binutils?
@ 2022-06-17  5:11 Dmitry Selyutin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dmitry Selyutin @ 2022-06-17  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Alan Modra, Luke Leighton

Hi folks,

I'm going to submit a series of patches which add a couple of new
instructions available as SVP64 extensions (under -mlibresoc switch).
Since I want to be a good citizen, I also want to introduce tests for
each instruction, basically comparing the expected results for dumps
(aka run_dump_test). However, I'd like to cover various possible
cases, so I generated a test to cover many different operands; this
makes tests quite big. For example, the assembly listing for a new
svremap instruction takes 10240 lines, and etalon dump takes a bit
more lines. So, questions:
1. Is it OK at all to have tests that large? Time-wise they're fast,
I'm mostly concerned about code base size and readers' patience.
2. Will you tolerate it if I post these tests in the mailing list?
These will be a major headache for any reader if integrated into the
patches.
3. If it's OK to post these tests into the mailing lists, is it
allowed to post them as separate patches from the ones which add the
instructions?

My preferred option would be to split each patch into two parts:
1. The patch which adds the instruction itself.
2. The patch which adds the test for this instruction.

However, looking at patches in PowerPC, I see that the tests generally
come along with the implementation in scope of one patch. I'm afraid
this might make patches barely readable.
If needed, I can cut the size of tests; time-wise it's fast, 10420
lines of asm take 0,04s of real time, I'm only concerned about
readability.

I'd like to know your opinion on this. Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Selyutin