* x86: limiting the use of No_*Suf
@ 2022-08-12  9:30 Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2022-08-12  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: Binutils

H.J.,

since you didn't like "x86: imply all No_*Suf when none is set in a
template" I've been thinking of other ways to limit the excessive use
of these attributes. One observation is that templates with IsPrefix,
Broadcast, or Masking set always have all No_<x>Suf also set.
Therefore the latter could be dropped from those templates (improving
readability), compensated by
1) a respective adjustment to match_template(), or
2) a change to i386-gen.c, or
3) respective pre-processor macros.
Do you have any opinion on the general direction of this and, if in
favor, any preference for one of the three options?

Jan

* Re: x86: limiting the use of No_*Suf
@ 2022-08-12 13:18 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2022-08-12 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: Binutils

On 12.08.2022 11:30, Jan Beulich via Binutils wrote:
> since you didn't like "x86: imply all No_*Suf when none is set in a
> template" I've been thinking of other ways to limit the excessive use
> of these attributes. One observation is that templates with IsPrefix,
> Broadcast, or Masking set always have all No_<x>Suf also set.
> Therefore the latter could be dropped from those templates (improving
> readability), compensated by
> 1) a respective adjustment to match_template(), or
> 2) a change to i386-gen.c, or
> 3) respective pre-processor macros.
> Do you have any opinion on the general direction of this and, if in
> favor, any preference for one of the three options?

Actually I had forgotten that we already have precedent of 3), for
AddrPrefixOpReg. So perhaps this can be a hint as to further moves
in that direction ...

@ 2022-08-15 18:10   ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 2022-08-15 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Binutils

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 6:19 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

> On 12.08.2022 11:30, Jan Beulich via Binutils wrote:
> > since you didn't like "x86: imply all No_*Suf when none is set in a
> > template" I've been thinking of other ways to limit the excessive use
> > of these attributes. One observation is that templates with IsPrefix,
> > Broadcast, or Masking set always have all No_<x>Suf also set.
> > Therefore the latter could be dropped from those templates (improving
> > readability), compensated by
> > 1) a respective adjustment to match_template(), or
> > 2) a change to i386-gen.c, or
> > 3) respective pre-processor macros.
> > Do you have any opinion on the general direction of this and, if in
> > favor, any preference for one of the three options?
>
> Actually I had forgotten that we already have precedent of 3), for
> AddrPrefixOpReg. So perhaps this can be a hint as to further moves
> in that direction ...
>
> Jan

I prefer #3.

Thanks.