* where is the vcs for the binutils sourceware page?
@ 2023-12-22  1:36 Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2023-12-22  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

where is the source for the binutils sourceware page ?
	https://sourceware.org/binutils/

it's not in CVS as that hasn't been updated since 2017 & binutils-2.29.
	sourceware.org:/cvs/binutils/htdocs

it's not in savannah as that's the gnu.org page and the content is diff.
	https://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/binutils/
	https://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

it's not in git, or it's not exported.  clone fails, and it's not in gitweb.
	https://sourceware.org/git/?a=project_list&s=binutils&btnS=Search
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: where is the vcs for the binutils sourceware page?
@ 2024-01-05 11:39 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2024-01-05 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger, binutils

Hi Mike,

> where is the source for the binutils sourceware page ? https://sourceware.org/binutils/

It is on sourceware itself, in the /sourceware/www/sourceware/htdocs/binutils directory.

> it's not in CVS as that hasn't been updated since 2017 & binutils-2.29. sourceware.org:/cvs/binutils/htdocs

Err, that directory does not appear to exist.  But the sourceware binutils
page has definitely been updated (Jul 30, 2023),  and does refer to the
2.41 release.

> it's not in savannah as that's the gnu.org page and the content is diff. https://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/binutils/ https://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

Right - the savanah page and the sourceware page should be in sync.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: where is the vcs for the binutils sourceware page?
@ 2024-01-05 12:50   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2024-01-05 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

On 05 Jan 2024 11:39, Nick Clifton wrote:
> > where is the source for the binutils sourceware page ? https://sourceware.org/binutils/
>
> It is on sourceware itself, in the /sourceware/www/sourceware/htdocs/binutils directory.

so it isn't maintained in a VCS ?  only people who have (ssh?) access can
change the page ?  i wanted to send patches, but it's not clear how.

> > it's not in CVS as that hasn't been updated since 2017 & binutils-2.29. sourceware.org:/cvs/binutils/htdocs
>
> Err, that directory does not appear to exist.  But the sourceware binutils
> page has definitely been updated (Jul 30, 2023),  and does refer to the
> 2.41 release.

$ cvs -z9 -d :ext:vapier@sourceware.org:/cvs/binutils co htdocs
$ cd htdocs
$ cvs log index.html
RCS file: /cvs/binutils/htdocs/index.html,v
Working file: index.html
head: 1.75
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 75;    selected revisions: 75
----------------------------
revision 1.75
date: 2017/07/24 10:52:27;  author: gingold;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -6
Update index.
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: where is the vcs for the binutils sourceware page?
@ 2024-01-05 13:55     ` Nick Clifton
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Clifton @ 2024-01-05 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: binutils

Hi Mike,

>> It is on sourceware itself, in the /sourceware/www/sourceware/htdocs/binutils directory.
>
> so it isn't maintained in a VCS ?

Sorry, no. :-(

> only people who have (ssh?) access can change the page ?

Directly yes.  Of course others can always ask to have changes made.

> i wanted to send patches, but it's not clear how.

My suggestion - post your patchess to this list as if they were a
change to the sources.  If approved - or no-one objects - apply them
to the sourceware repository and ask the FSF webmasters to clone the
change on their copy of the page.

>>> it's not in CVS as that hasn't been updated since 2017 & binutils-2.29. sourceware.org:/cvs/binutils/htdocs
>>
>> Err, that directory does not appear to exist.
> $ cvs -z9 -d :ext:vapier@sourceware.org:/cvs/binutils co htdocs

I stand corrected.

But that is definitely the old version of the docs, before the switch
from cvs to git.

Cheeers
   Nick

* Re: where is the vcs for the binutils sourceware page?
@ 2024-01-05 15:06       ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2024-01-05 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

On 05 Jan 2024 13:55, Nick Clifton wrote:
> >> It is on sourceware itself, in the /sourceware/www/sourceware/htdocs/binutils directory.
> >
> > so it isn't maintained in a VCS ?
>
> Sorry, no. :-(
>
> > only people who have (ssh?) access can change the page ?
>
> Directly yes.  Of course others can always ask to have changes made.
>
> > i wanted to send patches, but it's not clear how.
>
> My suggestion - post your patchess to this list as if they were a
> change to the sources.  If approved - or no-one objects - apply them
> to the sourceware repository and ask the FSF webmasters to clone the
> change on their copy of the page.

> >> Err, that directory does not appear to exist.
> > $ cvs -z9 -d :ext:vapier@sourceware.org:/cvs/binutils co htdocs
>
> I stand corrected.
>
> But that is definitely the old version of the docs, before the switch
> from cvs to git.

sorry i'm not following here.  you said it's not maintained in a VCS, but
then you talk about switching from cvs to git.  or did you mean the main
binutils-gdb.git project and not htdocs ?  the cvs htdocs was basically
abandoned when the main source tree switched from cvs to git ?

@ 2024-01-05 16:15         ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2024-01-05 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: binutils

Hi Mike,

>> But that is definitely the old version of the docs, before the switch
>> from cvs to git.
>
> sorry i'm not following here.  you said it's not maintained in a VCS, but
> then you talk about switching from cvs to git.  or did you mean the main
> binutils-gdb.git project and not htdocs ?

I did mean that.  Sorry for the confusion and bad explanation.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: where is the vcs for the binutils sourceware page?
@ 2024-01-07  2:46       ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2024-01-07  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

On 05 Jan 2024 13:55, Nick Clifton wrote:
> > i wanted to send patches, but it's not clear how.
>
> My suggestion - post your patchess to this list as if they were a
> change to the sources.  If approved - or no-one objects - apply them
> to the sourceware repository and ask the FSF webmasters to clone the
> change on their copy of the page.

the FSF webmasters manage sourceware.org pages ?  i thought they only managed
the gnu.org pages.  or would it be overseers ?

i noticed that the 2.33 docs are broken atm for instance:
https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.33/ -> HTTP/403

@ 2024-01-07 18:17       ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2024-01-07 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: Mike Frysinger, binutils

Hi Nick,

On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 01:55:20PM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> >>It is on sourceware itself, in the /sourceware/www/sourceware/htdocs/binutils directory.
> >
> >so it isn't maintained in a VCS ?
>
> Sorry, no. :-(
>
> >only people who have (ssh?) access can change the page ?
>
> Directly yes.  Of course others can always ask to have changes made.
>
> >i wanted to send patches, but it's not clear how.
>
> My suggestion - post your patchess to this list as if they were a
> change to the sources.

Shall we setup a binutils-htdocs git repo to hold these webpages?
That is what gdb does, https://sourceware.org/cgit/gdb-htdocs/ Then
anybody who has binutils commit access can help directly and nobody
would need shell access to just update them.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: where is the vcs for the binutils sourceware page?
@ 2024-01-08 10:07         ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2024-01-08 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: Mike Frysinger, binutils

Hi Mark,

> Shall we setup a binutils-htdocs git repo to hold these webpages?
> That is what gdb does, https://sourceware.org/cgit/gdb-htdocs/ Then
> anybody who has binutils commit access can help directly and nobody
> would need shell access to just update them.

Yes please - that would be very helpful.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: where is the vcs for the binutils sourceware page?
@ 2024-01-08 10:13         ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2024-01-08 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: binutils

Hi Mike,

>> My suggestion - post your patchess to this list as if they were a
>> change to the sources.  If approved - or no-one objects - apply them
>> to the sourceware repository and ask the FSF webmasters to clone the
>> change on their copy of the page.
>
> the FSF webmasters manage sourceware.org pages ?

No...

> i thought they only managed the gnu.org pages.

Right - and since I am unable to access the FSF pages directly
I ask the FSF webmasters to make any changes for me.  (For the
record they have always been very quick and helpful in responding
to my requests).

> or would it be overseers ?

Well they have the final word on the sourceware webpages.

> i noticed that the 2.33 docs are broken atm for instance:
> https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.33/ -> HTTP/403

Yes, that appears to be an empty directory.  I am not sure why.
There is however a point release that does work:

   https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.33.1/

Cheers
   Nick