public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-10-25 12:26 Stephen Done
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Stephen Done @ 2001-10-25 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

I would like to use CGEN to disassemble some code for the Mitsubishi M32R
processor.

I have installed guile, and have downloaded the latest released version of
CGEN (1.0).
I have read through the html version of documentation. It seems to be about
developing further CGEN ports, whereas I just want to use an existing one. I
have also read the faq-o-matic.

As far as I can get is loading dev.scm into guile. After that, I'm stuck.

Can someone give me some example commands that make use of the CGEN
functionality, or alternatively point me in the direction of any docs that
do ?

All I need is the command to take a binary file and convert it to assembler.
I've done as much RTFM'ing as I can, and I'm not getting anywhere.

Thanks for you help

Steve

* Re: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-10-29 10:37 ` Greg McGary
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg McGary @ 2001-10-29 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Done; +Cc: cgen

"Stephen Done" <stephen.done@cw.com> writes:

> I've done as much RTFM'ing as I can, and I'm not getting anywhere.

You're trying waaay too hard.  The only thing you need to know about
is configure and make.  You don't even need guile or to run CGEN since
the binutils distributions and the CVS trees contain CGEN-generated files.
Yet even if you did need to run CGEN, say because you're working on a
new port, or changing an existing one, the machinery to invoke CGEN is
in the makefiles.  Just configure for your target, make and be happy!
8^)

Greg

* RE: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-11-04 19:57   ` Stephen Done
From: Stephen Done @ 2001-11-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg McGary; +Cc: cgen

Hi Greg,

Thanks for replying so quick.

I don't run the box I am using, so installing a new version of binutils
could be tricky.

Fundamental question:
  What are the names of the cgen binaries ?
  Hopefully they're already installed on the box, so I won't need to get
anything updated.
  I assumed 'cgen', but that isn't present.

Is there a docs page that explains what each binary does ?
Maybe the new binutils has man pages for the binaries.
I don't know what I'm looking for...yet :-)

Thanks again

Steve

* Re: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-11-05  4:10 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2001-11-05  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Done; +Cc: cgen

Hi -

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 02:45:27PM -0000, Stephen Done wrote:
: I would like to use CGEN to disassemble some code for the Mitsubishi M32R
: processor.
: [...]
: All I need is the command to take a binary file and convert it to assembler.
: I've done as much RTFM'ing as I can, and I'm not getting anywhere.

Thanks for looking into it before asking the question!

Why do you think you need to deal with cgen directly for this task?
Are you aware that if you compile a m32r cross toolchain (or at least
binutils), you get an objdump program that can disassemble stuff for you?

	cvs [...] co binutils
	/[src]/configure --target=m32r-elf --prefix=[installtree]
	make all install
	[installtree]/bin/m32r-elf-objdump -d program.elf

- FChE

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

* RE: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-11-05 17:03   ` Stephen Done
From: Stephen Done @ 2001-11-05 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: cgen

Thanks Frank,

You're right ! I was barking up the wrong tree completely.
Typing M32R and disassembler into google brings up 100s of matches for CGEN
(and you !), and nothing for objdump.

Thanks for the info, I'll go away and get those binutils.

Cheers

Steve

* Re: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-11-06  8:48     ` Greg McGary
From: Greg McGary @ 2001-11-06  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Done; +Cc: cgen

"Stephen Done" <stephen.done@cw.com> writes:

> I don't run the box I am using, so installing a new version of binutils
> could be tricky.

You needn't install binutils in any official place in order to build
an m32r assembler that uses CGEN opcode tables.  I'm just talking
about configuring and building binutils, and possibly installing in a
directory where you have write permission, such as somewhere under
your homedir (via configure's --prefix=<DIR> option).  It sounds as
though you need more experience with the basics of configuring and
building GNU packages.  See the README and INSTALL files at the
toplevel dir of any GNU package.)

> Fundamental question:
>   What are the names of the cgen binaries ?

This is the target that generates opcode tables in opcodes/Makefile.in:

run-cgen:
	$(SHELL) $(srcdir)/cgen.sh opcodes $(srcdir) $(CGEN) \
	  $(CGENDIR) "$(CGENFLAGS)" $(arch) $(prefix) \
	  "$(options)" $(extrafiles)
	touch stamp-${prefix}

This is what it looks like at `make all-gas' time:

make[3]: Entering directory `/1/redback/tools-src/cygnus-unified/HOST-i686-pc-linux,TARGET-ppa/opcodes'
make run-cgen arch=ppa prefix=ppa options= extrafiles=
make[4]: Entering directory `/1/redback/tools-src/cygnus-unified/HOST-i686-pc-linux,TARGET-ppa/opcodes'
/bin/sh ../../src/opcodes/cgen.sh opcodes ../../src/opcodes `if test -f ../guile/libguile/guile ; then echo ../guile/libguile/guile; else echo guile ; fi` \
  ../../src/opcodes/../cgen "-v" ppa ppa \
  ""
Skipping slib/sort, already loaded.
Skipping slib/random, already loaded.
cgen -s ../../src/opcodes/../cgen/cgen-opc.scm -s ../../src/opcodes/../cgen -v -f  -m all -a ppa -H tmp-desc.h1 -C tmp-desc.c1 -O tmp-opc.h1 -P tmp-opc.c1 -L tmp-ibld.in1 -A tmp-asm.in1 -D tmp-dis.in1
Including file simplify.inc ...
Processing cpu file ../../src/opcodes/../cgen/ppa.cpu ...
Analyzing instruction set ...
Done analysis.
Generating ppa desc.h ...
Generating ppa desc.c ...
Generating ppa-opc.h ...
Generating ppa-opc.c ...
Generating ppa-ibld.in ...
Generating ppa-asm.in ...
Generating ppa-dis.in ...
../../src/opcodes/ppa-desc.h is unchanged
../../src/opcodes/ppa-desc.c is unchanged
../../src/opcodes/ppa-opc.h is unchanged
../../src/opcodes/ppa-opc.c is unchanged
../../src/opcodes/ppa-ibld.c is unchanged
../../src/opcodes/ppa-asm.c is unchanged
../../src/opcodes/ppa-dis.c is unchanged
touch stamp-ppa

>   Hopefully they're already installed on the box, so I won't need to get
> anything updated.

All you need installed is guile.  The cgen implementation is provided
as scheme source code in the cgen/ subdir.

>   I assumed 'cgen', but that isn't present.

Each "application" has a cgen.sh script which serves as the
entry-point.  The cgen "applications" are those that generate
(dis)assembler opcode tables and insn simulator semantic hooks.
They reside in opcodes/cgen.sh and sim/common/cgen.sh

> Is there a docs page that explains what each binary does ?

Dunno.  If it's not in the cgen manual, you must rely on reading
the code: the cgen.sh scripts and the makefiles that invoke them.

> Maybe the new binutils has man pages for the binaries.

Probably not.

Greg

* RE: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-11-06 10:48   ` Stephen Done at home
From: Stephen Done at home @ 2001-11-06 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Lehotsky; +Cc: cgen

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

objdump is what I need, not cgen - I realise now.

Regs.

Steve

* Re: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-11-06 11:07 ` Alan Lehotsky
From: Alan Lehotsky @ 2001-11-06 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Done; +Cc: cgen

At 2:45 PM +0000 11/21/01, Stephen Done wrote:

>I would like to use CGEN to disassemble some code for the Mitsubishi M32R
>processor.

	Just get a binutils distribution and configure the m32r target and build.

	In the binutils build directory you'll find objdump - that does all the disassembly you could ever want...

	Or did you hope to build a disassembler into a tool YOU are building for yourself.  (In which case, you still want
	to start with the objdump sources, as it shows how to call the cgen-generated routines for disassembly....

>I have installed guile, and have downloaded the latest released version of
>CGEN (1.0).

	You don't need any of that to build and run binutils - the cgen outputs are checked-in to the binutils tree (see
	the opcodes directory for the specifics....

		    Quality Software Management
		http://home.earthlink.net/~qsmgmt
			apl@alum.mit.edu
			(978)287-0435 Voice
			(978)808-6836 Cell
			(978)287-0436 Fax

	Software Process Improvement and Management Consulting
	     Language Design and Compiler Implementation

* Using CGEN Disassembler
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-11-21  6:45 ` Stephen Done
From: Stephen Done @ 2001-11-21  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

@ 2001-11-21  6:57   ` Greg McGary
From: Greg McGary @ 2001-11-21  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Done; +Cc: cgen

@ 2001-11-21  7:24     ` Stephen Done
From: Stephen Done @ 2001-11-21  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg McGary; +Cc: cgen

Hi Greg,

Thanks for replying so quick.

I don't run the box I am using, so installing a new version of binutils
could be tricky.

Fundamental question:
  What are the names of the cgen binaries ?
  Hopefully they're already installed on the box, so I won't need to get
anything updated.
  I assumed 'cgen', but that isn't present.

Is there a docs page that explains what each binary does ?
Maybe the new binutils has man pages for the binaries.
I don't know what I'm looking for...yet :-)

Thanks again

Steve

* Re: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-11-21  7:46   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2001-11-21  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Done; +Cc: cgen

@ 2001-11-21  7:54     ` Stephen Done
From: Stephen Done @ 2001-11-21  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: cgen

Thanks Frank,

You're right ! I was barking up the wrong tree completely.
Typing M32R and disassembler into google brings up 100s of matches for CGEN
(and you !), and nothing for objdump.

Thanks for the info, I'll go away and get those binutils.

Cheers

Steve

* Re: Using CGEN Disassembler
@ 2001-11-21  8:07       ` Greg McGary