public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* Running CGEN
@ 2002-08-25 19:46 Shehryar Humayun
From: Shehryar Humayun @ 2002-08-25 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

Hi,

I am working on porting GAS using CGEN framework for a
DSP chip. Before doing that, I am trying to reproduce
the m32r port using cgen.
I am totally new to this. I am having trouble in
understanding how to generate the 8 files
(cgen-desc.h, cgen-desc.c etc) for porting opcodes of
m32r.
Has any one written a how-to sort of a thing that
would guide me in getting a start. The documentation
available with cgen is not working out for me.

Thanks in advance.

http://finance.yahoo.com

* Re: Running CGEN
@ 2002-08-26  4:28 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2002-08-26  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shehryar Humayun; +Cc: cgen

Hi.

  Shehryar> I am working on porting GAS using CGEN framework for a
  Shehryar> DSP chip. Before doing that, I am trying to reproduce
  Shehryar> the m32r port using cgen.

Good idea.

  Shehryar> I am totally new to this. I am having trouble in
  Shehryar> understanding how to generate the 8 files
  Shehryar> (cgen-desc.h, cgen-desc.c etc) for porting opcodes of
  Shehryar> m32r.

  Shehryar> Has any one written a how-to sort of a thing that
  Shehryar> would guide me in getting a start. The documentation
  Shehryar> available with cgen is not working out for me.

Yes, the documentation is not fantastic in this regard.  Instead,
please take a look at the FAQ entry on this subject:

  http://sources.redhat.com/fom-serv/cgen/cache/7.html

Ben

* Re: Running CGEN
@ 2002-08-26  9:16 ` John Healy
From: John Healy @ 2002-08-26  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shehryar Humayun; +Cc: cgen

You should be able to find some information here:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgen .  There is a "Faq-O-Matic" link and a
"manual" link that should help.

John

Shehryar Humayun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on porting GAS using CGEN framework for a
> DSP chip. Before doing that, I am trying to reproduce
> the m32r port using cgen.
> I am totally new to this. I am having trouble in
> understanding how to generate the 8 files
> (cgen-desc.h, cgen-desc.c etc) for porting opcodes of
> m32r.
> Has any one written a how-to sort of a thing that
> would guide me in getting a start. The documentation
> available with cgen is not working out for me.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> http://finance.yahoo.com

* Re: Running CGEN
@ 2002-09-03  7:40     ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2002-09-03  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shehryar Humayun; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, cgen

  Shehryar> Thanks for the reply. One more thing: should binutils
  Shehryar> be configured and installed on the system as well to
  Shehryar> regenerate, for example, opcodes files in the

You don't need to install the cross-binutils, just build it in the
same build tree as the rest of the tools:

	build
	+- opcodes
	+- binutils
	+- gas

It is no longer necessary to configure and build CGEN in this way, as
it is a tool that can be run entirely from the source tree (using the
helper Makefile targets in opcodes/Makefile, for example).

  Shehryar> stamp-TARGET". If so, should binutils source tree be
  Shehryar> configured with "./configure --target=TARGET" before
  Shehryar> running "make ..."?

Yes.

Ben

* Re: Running CGEN
@ 2002-08-31 21:19   ` Shehryar Humayun
From: Shehryar Humayun @ 2002-08-31 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: cgen

Thanks for the reply. One more thing: should binutils
be configured and installed on the system as well to
regenerate, for example, opcodes files in the
gas/opcodes directory, before running "make
stamp-TARGET". If so, should binutils source tree be
configured with "./configure --target=TARGET" before
running "make ..."?
Thanks in advance

Regards

--- "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 08:49:53AM -0700, Shehryar
> Humayun wrote:
> > [...]
> > According to the CGEN FAQ 7.html, I have to build
> my
> > CGEN build directory before running "make
> stamp-m32r".
> > Does this mean that I have to run
> > "./configure --target=m32r"
> > in the opcodes directory available with binutils?
> > [...]
>
> Almost.  Actually, you should run the configure
> script
> of the *parent* of the opcodes directory.  That
> top-level
> one recursively invokes the configure script of the
> subdirectories.
>

> - FChE

http://finance.yahoo.com

* Re: Running CGEN
@ 2002-08-31 15:00 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2002-08-31 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shehryar Humayun; +Cc: cgen

@ 2002-08-31  8:49 Shehryar Humayun
From: Shehryar Humayun @ 2002-08-31  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

Hi,

I am trying to regenerate the opcodes support files
using CGEN for m32r. I have modified the file by
adding some comments into it.

According to the CGEN FAQ 7.html, I have to build my
CGEN build directory before running "make stamp-m32r".
Does this mean that I have to run
"./configure --target=m32r"
in the opcodes directory available with binutils?

In fact I have tried this and I am getting error like:
"[...]"
"cannot run config.sub"
and the process terminates. Any one have any ideas
about the cause of the problem. Please correct me if I
am not doing it right.
(I am using cgen-1.0 and guile-1.3.4.)

Regards

http://finance.yahoo.com