public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* How do I run CGEN?
@ 2006-03-15 22:07 Lindley, Robert A
From: Lindley, Robert A @ 2006-03-15 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

Chapter 2 of the manual says - to be written.

Can't figure out how to search this mailing list archives for an answer.
Can only find archived messages by date.

The texi documents have loads of detailed information. Can't find anything
that gives a top level discussion of how to accomplish the series of tasks
that define a processor to making a new as and ld.

configure, make, and make install all worked without error.

Thought I could do cgen --help and get a clue. Could not find a program
named cgen.

The --help for as doesn't give a clue how to find out which processor it
has been setup for.

I need to define a unique (MECA-43) processor and can't get started.

Thanks,

Bob Lindley
robert.a.lindley@boeing.com

* Re: How do I run CGEN?
@ 2006-03-16 15:30 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-03-16 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lindley, Robert A; +Cc: cgen

Hi -

> [...] Can't find anything that gives a top level discussion of how
> to accomplish the series of tasks that define a processor to making
> a new as and ld. [...]  I need to define a unique (MECA-43)
> processor and can't get started.

Despite the documentation, most cgen users tend to run it in batch
mode only.  A new port is typically done by replicating an existing
port with a new name throughout source tree, making that build, then
modifying it to represent the actual target CPU.

An old thread gives an outline of the other (cgen-unassisted) parts of
binutils porting: http://sourceware.org/ml/cgen/2003-q4/msg00014.html

- FChE

* Re: How do I run CGEN?
@ 2006-03-16 16:42   ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2006-03-16 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Lindley, Robert A, cgen

Also, check out $src/cgen/doc/porting.texi

* RE: How do I run CGEN?
@ 2006-03-17 14:28   ` Lindley, Robert A
From: Lindley, Robert A @ 2006-03-17 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: cgen

Thanks,

Is there a preliminary, draft, or working copy of Chapter 2?
Is someone working on it?
Perhaps if I made notes on my adventure through this maze
it would be of some help?

To someone who knows the inner workings of gas and ld, cgen
may seems easy and intuitive. However, I am starting this journey
from square zero. As such, I need a high level overview of the the
tasks that must be accomplished and the order that they must be done.

I am going to re-read the available, and very detailed, documentation.
I think that I need to know more about how gas and ld work to get
a better idea about how all of this fits together.

Bob Lindley

________________________________

@ 2006-03-17 20:00     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-03-17 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lindley, Robert A; +Cc: cgen

Hi -

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 06:28:12AM -0800, Lindley, Robert A wrote:

> Is there a preliminary, draft, or working copy of Chapter 2?
> Is someone working on it?

No.  If I was being naughty, I'd say "don't run cgen; let make do it
when needed".  When you copy/rename an existing target, the Makefiles
will contain the appropriate constructs to run cgen.

> Perhaps if I made notes on my adventure through this maze
> it would be of some help?

Sure.

> To someone who knows the inner workings of gas and ld, cgen may
> seems easy and intuitive. However, I am starting this journey from
> square zero. [...]

An important thing to understand is that CGEN is only able to automate
the few roughly "table-driven" portions of the porting process.  A lot
of hand-written gas/bfd/ld/simulator code is still needed, little of
which is cgen-specific and therefore not really appropriate for
documentation here.

- FChE

* Re: How do I run CGEN?
@ 2006-03-17 20:34       ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2006-03-17 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Lindley, Robert A, cgen

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

>No.  If I was being naughty, I'd say "don't run cgen; let make do it
>when needed".  When you copy/rename an existing target, the Makefiles
>will contain the appropriate constructs to run cgen.

Except for SID ports which generally require you to

cd $bld/sid/component/cgen-cpu/<cpu>; make cgen-all

in order to regenerate cgen-generated sources. No reason why this can't
be fixed but no one has ever bothered.

Dave