public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* CGEN_VERBOSE_ASSEMBLER_ERRORS
@ 2009-12-01  9:09 Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2009-12-01  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

Anyone know of a reason why we shouldn't just nuke
CGEN_VERBOSE_ASSEMBLER_ERRORS and always have verbose error messages?

* Re: CGEN_VERBOSE_ASSEMBLER_ERRORS
@ 2009-12-01 18:00 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-12-01 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Evans; +Cc: cgen

Doug Evans wrote:
> Anyone know of a reason why we shouldn't just nuke
> CGEN_VERBOSE_ASSEMBLER_ERRORS and always have verbose error messages?

  Might conceivably cause some minor perturbation in the gas testsuite for any
target that doesn't currently define it and that has tests of error cases, but
nothing that can't be easily fixed.  Maybe it would be worth pinging the
binutils list?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: CGEN_VERBOSE_ASSEMBLER_ERRORS
@ 2009-12-01 18:04   ` Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2009-12-01 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: cgen

Dave Korn wrote:
> Doug Evans wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of a reason why we shouldn't just nuke
>> CGEN_VERBOSE_ASSEMBLER_ERRORS and always have verbose error messages?
>>

>   Might conceivably cause some minor perturbation in the gas testsuite for any
> target that doesn't currently define it and that has tests of error cases, but
> nothing that can't be easily fixed.  Maybe it would be worth pinging the
> binutils list?
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Hi.
I'm not worried about breaking the testsuites.  Those things I can find
and fix before checkin.  I'm just wondering why it exists at all
(basically).  [Other than laziness of updating the testsuites when it
was added. :-)]