* crosstool-ng: Dangling symlink "terminfo" from ncurses
@ 2010-01-09 13:05 Joachim Nilsson
From: Joachim Nilsson @ 2010-01-09 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc

Hey Yann!

I just noticed a slightly annoying little thing.  It seems that ncurses
sets up a "compatibility sym-link" to $TICDIR in
build-ncurses/misc/run_tic.sh

$ ls -ld sys-root/usr/lib/terminfo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jocke jocke 17 2010-01-09 02:29
/home/jocke/armeb-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi-4.4.2-x86-32/armeb-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/sys-root/usr/lib/terminfo
-> ../share/terminfo

Of course ../share/terminfo does not exist.

Maybe we should remove that symlink when building nurses?

Regards
  /Joachim

* Re: crosstool-ng: Dangling symlink "terminfo" from ncurses
@ 2010-01-10 17:54 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2010-01-10 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joachim Nilsson; +Cc: crossgcc

Joachim, All,

On Saturday 09 January 2010 14:05:45 Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> I just noticed a slightly annoying little thing.  It seems that ncurses
> sets up a "compatibility sym-link" to $TICDIR in
> build-ncurses/misc/run_tic.sh
> $ ls -ld sys-root/usr/lib/terminfo
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 jocke jocke 17 2010-01-09 02:29
> /home/jocke/armeb-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi-4.4.2-x86-32/armeb-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/sys-root/usr/lib/terminfo
> -> ../share/terminfo
> Of course ../share/terminfo does not exist.
> Maybe we should remove that symlink when building nurses?

What I'd really like is to get rid of ncurses at all. crosstool-NG builds
ncurses for the target because I was unable to tell gdb not to use ncurses.

If someone finds the correct incantation to this effect, then we'd be able
to get rid of ncurses. In the meantime, I don't care ncurses doing weird
things, of which installing a dangling symlink is the least annoying of
all (but still it is, I agree). Let's keep it that way.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

`------------------------------^-------^------------------^--------------------'

* Re: crosstool-ng: Dangling symlink "terminfo" from ncurses
@ 2010-01-12 23:56   ` Joachim Nilsson
From: Joachim Nilsson @ 2010-01-12 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc

On 01/10/2010 06:54 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> What I'd really like is to get rid of ncurses at all. crosstool-NG builds
> ncurses for the target because I was unable to tell gdb not to use ncurses.

I see, well it doesn't look like a simple configure issue.  They've hard
wired libreadline in a few places, some can be disabled (like tui), but
others look like they just outright demand libreadline.

I did some work earlier on libedit, a readline equivalent from
Minix/*BSD.  It has some readline compatibility stuff that could perhaps
be used instead of libreadline.  (libedit uses simple termios instead of
the full shebang readline/ncurses does.)

> If someone finds the correct incantation to this effect, then we'd be able
> to get rid of ncurses. In the meantime, I don't care ncurses doing weird
> things, of which installing a dangling symlink is the least annoying of
> all (but still it is, I agree). Let's keep it that way.

OK.  I worked around it for now by selecting static gdb and gdbserver --
because it didn't really look like the ncurses lib(s) got installed in
the target system (debug-root) when I deselected static.  Maybe a latent
bug?

I'll see if I can look into these issue again later.

@ 2010-01-13 18:41     ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2010-01-13 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joachim Nilsson; +Cc: crossgcc

Joachim, All,

On Wednesday 13 January 2010 00:56:30 Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> I see, well it doesn't look like a simple configure issue.  They've hard
> wired libreadline in a few places, some can be disabled (like tui), but
> others look like they just outright demand libreadline.

Oh, that makes sense, then...

> I did some work earlier on libedit, a readline equivalent from
> Minix/*BSD.  It has some readline compatibility stuff that could perhaps
> be used instead of libreadline.  (libedit uses simple termios instead of
> the full shebang readline/ncurses does.)

Even in that case, that would also require a library. I'd stick with
ncurses for now, it's working fine, and ncurses is pretty standard...

> OK.  I worked around it for now by selecting static gdb and gdbserver --
> because it didn't really look like the ncurses lib(s) got installed in
> the target system (debug-root) when I deselected static.  Maybe a latent
> bug?

Yep, definitely... :-( The solution would be to build a static-only
libncurses, so even if gdb uses shared libc, it would not require shared
libncurses on the target, which could be entirely missing, or worse,
could be different from the one used to build gdb... I'll look at the
issue tonight. Thanks for raising it!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

`------------------------------^-------^------------------^--------------------'

* Re: crosstool-ng: Dangling symlink "terminfo" from ncurses
@ 2010-01-14 22:21       ` Joachim Nilsson
From: Joachim Nilsson @ 2010-01-14 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc

On 01/13/2010 07:41 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>> Maybe a latent bug?
>>
> Yep, definitely... :-( The solution would be to build a static-only
> libncurses, so even if gdb uses shared libc, it would not require shared
> libncurses on the target, which could be entirely missing, or worse,
> could be different from the one used to build gdb... I'll look at the
> issue tonight. Thanks for raising it!

No problem.  I noticed you solved it quite elegantly. :)

Regards
  /Joachim