* Building toolchain libraries with debugging symbols
@ 2016-02-08  9:41 Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2016-02-08  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc maillist

Hello,

What is the 'correct' way to make sure that the libraries of the
toolchain (most importantly libc but possibly others) contain
debugging symbols, so that debugging an application linked to these
libraries works as expected?

Toolchains provided by external vendors are configured as such, but it
seems that crosstool-ng by default does not.

We did not find a global setting for this. As a workaround we applied
the following:

CT_LIBC_GLIBC_EXTRA_CFLAGS="-g"

but it is unclear if this is the 'correct' way or not.

Thanks,
Thomas

* Re: Building toolchain libraries with debugging symbols
@ 2016-03-03 19:26 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2016-03-03 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc maillist

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the 'correct' way to make sure that the libraries of the
> toolchain (most importantly libc but possibly others) contain
> debugging symbols, so that debugging an application linked to these
> libraries works as expected?
>
> Toolchains provided by external vendors are configured as such, but it
> seems that crosstool-ng by default does not.
>
> We did not find a global setting for this. As a workaround we applied
> the following:
>
> CT_LIBC_GLIBC_EXTRA_CFLAGS="-g"
>
> but it is unclear if this is the 'correct' way or not.

ping?

* Re: Building toolchain libraries with debugging symbols
@ 2016-03-03 23:26   ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2016-03-03 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas De Schampheleire; +Cc: crossgcc maillist, Yann E. MORIN

> On Mar 3, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire
> <patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> What is the 'correct' way to make sure that the libraries of the
>> toolchain (most importantly libc but possibly others) contain
>> debugging symbols, so that debugging an application linked to these
>> libraries works as expected?
>>
>> Toolchains provided by external vendors are configured as such, but it
>> seems that crosstool-ng by default does not.
>>
>> We did not find a global setting for this. As a workaround we applied
>> the following:
>>
>> CT_LIBC_GLIBC_EXTRA_CFLAGS="-g"
>>
>> but it is unclear if this is the 'correct' way or not.
>>

> ping?

Thomas,

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this email. I’m not sure why I didn’t see the earlier email.

I need to do a little research, but I’ve CC’d Yann E. Morin in case he knows off hand.
If not, I’ll have a response soon.

Cheers,

-Bryan

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Building toolchain libraries with debugging symbols
@ 2016-03-04  1:03     ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2016-03-04  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas De Schampheleire; +Cc: crossgcc maillist, Yann E. MORIN